think my flexplate is cracked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not unless it's a lifter or rocker messed up. I got a pecking all of a sudden out of no where. It does get faster with engine speed, sometimes it goes away and comes back, doesn't exactly seem to match the engine speed all the time. Sometimes it's on idle, others it's right off idle and random. Sounds more from the back end of the motor and underneath so I'm thinking flexplate.

I guess that goes to show you if you rebuild the motor throw in a new flexplate, front trans seal, and rear trans seal or front t-case seal.

My t-case input seal leaks, letting the trans go low and the t-case overfill.

Gonna check it out better tomorrow, it was late when we got home.

Guess my old man has to get his square body back on the road now to drive. he's been driving my 88 k1500 all year since last oct. or so.

he just has to have an alignment and inspection sticker on his, we put in a complete new front end last oct./nov. So it's need aligned.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's always nice to have a vehicle to fall back on except when both of them go down at the same time. I hope it's an easy fix for both trucks.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOL yea dad's truck is easy, just needs to have the alginment shop check and set it, then inspection sticker(which is no prob.) Mine I sure hope is easy though lol.

We have the wife's car, but you never know when or if something will go down on it, 2k monte carlo and over 100k on the clock.

Dad has to fall back on his truck.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
It's a W body, it's a matter of WHEN, not if.

Exactly what I'm worried about with the GP. I've driven it 40k miles in 2 years with no major issues so far but it's got 122k miles on it now so I'm wondering when the day is going to come that it's going to require $$$ being dumped into it cuz something has failed. My guess will be the tranny will be the one to go but could also be something motor related too when that time comes :shrug:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOL don't I know it, her motor is making noise, but it always has, ever since she got it it's had some top end pecking and I change oil pretty frequent to try and stop it but it always comes back. Most of the time doesn't stop.

I did just put brakes on it, needs rotors, hers are warped.

Also gotta put tires on they are about gone now. Also needs a tune up.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Sounds like a top notch Monte.....
You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
fo shhooo

typical women's car lol.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
:D.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well got under it today and it's alot louder down bottom and random, and I disconnected the TC from the flywheel and it still does it. I hope it's the flexplate because if not the truck is gonna end up down the road most likely.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's always nice to have a vehicle to fall back on except when both of them go down at the same time. I hope it's an easy fix for both trucks.

That's a fact. My 84 C20 DD starter went out last week. In the heat and working so much, I didn't have time to fix it right away. The 2nd vehicle being the 85K10, I have not fixed the wiring for the windows to go down yet, noway to drive it in 102 degree heat outside and at least 120 in the truck, and also the PS pump is out on it. So I had to back up to my old trust 93 E350 Box Van. I drove it all last week til I finally got a day off and built a starter out of 3 starters to get the DD running again. Even when I had new vehicles and they needed warranty work, I backed up on my 64 GMC for a couple days. Always need back up transportation.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
my flexplate bolts are being a real PITA. my hammer and boxed end wrench aint doing it and neither is my breaker bar with cheater pipe. If I can't get em with the 1/2 breaker bar I'm gonna have to drop the trans or pull the motor.

I felt all over the backside of the flexplate and never felt a crack. My old man said I won't feel one, but I sure hope he's right cuz if it's not the FP it's gotta be something loose inside the crankcase. I aint looking forward to that.

if I have to drop the trans I'm gonna fix the t-case input seal so it's stops overfilling the t-case and trans being low, gonna put in the kickdown cable linkage and kickdown cable(it's a th350) and maybe put in a stage 2 shift kit not sure.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I used to have problems with bolts. That was before I went to the store and bought a 3 foot long 1/2" drive breaker bar. I haven't found a fastener that was on tight enough for me to require a cheater bar in combination with it yet. Bolts loosen themselves from shaking in their threads just by seeing this thing coming. If you don't have a decent bar, I strongly suggest picking one up. It's one of those tools in your box you always reach for.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
You know I had one no clue where it went. I kept it by my bed in case some idiot might come around looking for trouble. Now I can't find it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare