The Quest for the Last Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Tried 3 different local part stores and they all failed, tremendously. Part stores people don't know anything. They're all idiots! There i said it.
Let me share a little logic that helped me feel better about dealing with auto parts store employees. It took me a long time to come to grip with the fact that auto parts store employees are no longer helpful, they used to have knowledge about what they were selling, not any more.

Most businesses have been dumbed down so they can hire minimum wage employees, now these businesses have "cashiers". The only skill they have is helping you look up the part number and going in the back to pull part off shelf, then ringing up your order.

It became obvious to me when one day I was trying to buy auto parts and I caught myself asking a teenage girl (employee) (not that the boys do any better) something about auto parts. That was the last time I made that mistake. When I need quality auto parts, I go to Napa or Summit racing, where they actually have employees that can do more than just use a cash register.

We are not this naive when we go to the grocery store, are we? Do we believe the grocery store cashier has knowledge about all the products in the store, no we don't. Why do we want so much to believe that parts store cashiers have knowledge? (old habits?) I very much want to believe, BUT I know better now.

Last edited:

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
When I needed a new radiator for A 1974 Dodge Charger my kids and I were restoring, and wanted correct part number and model year. I searched on line and found an original period correct radiator, used, very used. LOL

I bought it and had it shipped to me, then took it to our local radiator shop (A1 Radiator) They only reused the tanks when they re-cored it. It looks brand new and works like it was designed to do. Cost me $500 to have it converted to new, not sure what I paid for the used radiator. Fits perfectly, it was worth every penny to have it fit, work and be correct in case we ever get silly and take it to a car show.

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The one in my '85 was seeping a bit near the bottom. Closer inspection revealed a pin hole that would have been easily repaired.
So I priced out at the local shop (they do exceptional work!) and it was almost as much to fix it as it would for installing a new core.
So I priced out just the core as opposed to them doing it - I would sweat the new core in myself - then I found an entire NEW radiator (aluminum and three-core) for a bit more than the brass core.

I am trying out the new aluminum one for now.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
The one in my '85 was seeping a bit near the bottom. Closer inspection revealed a pin hole that would have been easily repaired.
So I priced out at the local shop (they do exceptional work!) and it was almost as much to fix it as it would for installing a new core.
So I priced out just the core as opposed to them doing it - I would sweat the new core in myself - then I found an entire NEW radiator (aluminum and three-core) for a bit more than the brass core.

I am trying out the new aluminum one for now.
But but but, if you can sweat the new core why can't YOU solder up the pin hole? I mean, you are from Canada. It's a fact that the best quality Americans come from Canada, right? If I came from Canada and have high level McGuyver skills, shouldn't all Canadians have the same skills? We are all created equal right? Got any Olson's left in Saskstchewan? Of did my Grand parents not leave any behind when heading for warmer weather. Sorry for the sarcastic humor if this didn't make you smile.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I mean, you are from Canada. It's a fact that the best quality Americans come from Canada, right? If I came from Canada and have high level McGuyver skills, shouldn't all Canadians have the same skills?
This! My bride to be is Canadian and sports a "Canadian, like an American - only better." t-shirt religiously. I can't wait till we live there to be honest. BTW I too and testing an aluminum radiator now because $180 delivered and it was made in Canada to OE spec :Big Laugh:. I will be sending my OE brass one for refitting though to be reinstalled later. I'm persnickety like that.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Have you considered having the original radiator repaired?

not sure if anyone nearby does, but i may get iti redone as i wear out the new one. so if that goes bad i can go back to the original

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
What's that guy's name that swapped a BB radiator into his truck - anybody?
Mebbe you could try to search function for other radiator swap threads and see if you cant find a part number.

It's a long name that starts with an 'A'? Cool dude. 8)

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
Picked up this jumbo all aluminum radiator from eBay for $250
Dropped right in, only had to move the driver's side rubber mounts over to the last set of holes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My McGuyver skills are impressive without me having to boast; for years, any crew that seen me step out of the service truck KNEW they would be up and running soon (their words, not mine.)
I can still sweat a bronze ID tag onto a brass tank and repaired an aluminum oil cooler on a QSX and discovered my "temporary repair" still had not been attended to three years later.

As for the costs, a core that is more money than an entire radiator is not a difficult decision to make.

BTW: Because of my fascist government, I have lately been giving serious consideration in moving south of the 49th, closer to some of my cousins in Montana.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Picked up this jumbo all aluminum radiator from eBay for $250
Dropped right in, only had to move the driver's side rubber mounts over to the last set of holes.

what was your height?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
This! My bride to be is Canadian and sports a "Canadian, like an American - only better." t-shirt religiously. I can't wait till we live there to be honest. BTW I too and testing an aluminum radiator now because $180 delivered and it was made in Canada to OE spec :Big Laugh:. I will be sending my OE brass one for refitting though to be reinstalled later. I'm persnickety like that.
You can’t wait to move TO Canada?! Interesting…

Beautiful areas, but JT makes me sick. Seems it’s getting crazier in the US all the time too, so…

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Let me share a little logic that helped me feel better about dealing with auto parts store employees. It took me a long time to come to grip with the fact that auto parts store employees are no longer helpful, they used to have knowledge about what they were selling, not any more.

Most businesses have been dumbed down so they can hire minimum wage employees, now these businesses have "cashiers". The only skill they have is helping you look up the part number and going in the back to pull part off shelf, then ringing up your order.

It became obvious to me when one day I was trying to buy auto parts and I caught myself asking a teenage girl (employee) (not that the boys do any better) something about auto parts. That was the last time I made that mistake. When I need quality auto parts, I go to Napa or Summit racing, where they actually have employees that can do more than just use a cash register.

We are not this naive when we go to the grocery store, are we? Do we believe the grocery store cashier has knowledge about all the products in the store, no we don't. Why do we want so much to believe that parts store cashiers have knowledge? (old habits?) I very much want to believe, BUT I know better now.
You should try dealing with this on a day to day basis. Even wholesale only places have gone to this. More and more are using contract drivers who don't really give a ***** if I ever see my parts. You want a lesson in frustration try getting one of those contract drivers to write up parts returns and do it correctly, so we actually get our refund.

We are expected to look our parts up online and either order them online or call in with the part #s. Nearly all the NAPAs around here have closed. I'd really recommend you try that. Look the parts up you want online and either do an in store pickup or walk in with your list of part #s. Orielly's actually has a pretty good website, it'll tell you if the part you are looking at is in the store you selected, how long it'll take to get it in if they don't, and what store a part is located at. I know it's not what you or I want, but it's better than relying on the teenage cashier, who does not know an ignition rotor from a brake rotor in some cases.

On the radiator I recently installed a CU730, bought from, I'm pretty sure I got it from Autozone. Was like a one day wait. It's the 4 row equivalent aluminum with plastic tanks. Because my 305 came factory with a 3 row I needed new rubber mounts, and it was a tiny bit taller so I had to do some modifications to the fan shroud to make it fit properly. But I'm quite happy with it at this point.

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220401-072929_Dolphin.jpg