The Quest for the Last Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
ALRIGHTY! My radiator is now leaking profusely in the 80. Now instantly, i about shat myself. Not because of the problem of changing the rad, but the problem of FINDING ONE. Finding one for the Jimmy was literally excruciating! Tried 3 different local part stores and they all failed, tremendously. Part stores people don't know anything. They're all idiots! There i said it.

So for the Jimmy i ended up ordering straight from LMC, was backordered and had to wait for it to come back in stock. Don't want to do that again. So i ultimately decided i want to put an aluminum radiator in my baby and the search has not been easy. I've tried Jegs, Speedway Motors, actual radiator companies, and they all screwed me. Measurements are just OFF even if they say they're for my truck. Or i think it'll be for my truck, and it says it doesn't fit my application, if that's even true.

So i messaged Summit support team because they're good at what they do. They found one that will work, but of course it is an EXPENSIVE direct fit that i do not wish to pay for. So the thing is, does anyone know where i can score an aluminum radiator for my 1980 GMC C2500 454 4-speed manual. I don't have the time to search all corners of the internet for it and want to know if you guys have struggled with such things also. Thanks guys.

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
ALRIGHTY! My radiator is now leaking profusely in the 80. Now instantly, i about shat myself. Not because of the problem of changing the rad, but the problem of FINDING ONE. Finding one for the Jimmy was literally excruciating! Tried 3 different local part stores and they all failed, tremendously. Part stores people don't know anything. They're all idiots! There i said it.

So for the Jimmy i ended up ordering straight from LMC, was backordered and had to wait for it to come back in stock. Don't want to do that again. So i ultimately decided i want to put an aluminum radiator in my baby and the search has not been easy. I've tried Jegs, Speedway Motors, actual radiator companies, and they all screwed me. Measurements are just OFF even if they say they're for my truck. Or i think it'll be for my truck, and it says it doesn't fit my application, if that's even true.

So i messaged Summit support team because they're good at what they do. They found one that will work, but of course it is an EXPENSIVE direct fit that i do not wish to pay for. So the thing is, does anyone know where i can score an aluminum radiator for my 1980 GMC C2500 454 4-speed manual. I don't have the time to search all corners of the internet for it and want to know if you guys have struggled with such things also. Thanks guys.

for a 454 im guessing you got a 4 core, 19 inch tall (The flat plate across top of rad, not the step down) and then there was no transcooler in the rad but there may have been an oil cooler for oil? pls show your under hood

my truck here has a 17 inch tall rad, drop down cover and I dont remember how wide the thing is, but they get wider

for a couple reasons I think the one in front of the bigger rad in back is like the one on

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
for a 454 im guessing you got a 4 core, 19 inch tall (The flat plate across top of rad, not the step down) and then there was no transcooler in the rad but there may have been an oil cooler for oil? pls show your under hood

my truck here has a 17 inch tall rad, drop down cover and I dont remember how wide the thing is, but they get wider

for a couple reasons I think the one in front of the bigger rad in back is like the one on

Height of 20 5/8" and it does have trans coolers, just unused

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
I put one of these in my '79 K20 and it was pretty much a drop in. I had to get the wider rubber insulators for a 4 core big block style, mine is a 350. When I bought mine a few years ago they offered a manual trans option. May be worth a call to them to see if they can help you out.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I put one of these in my '79 K20 and it was pretty much a drop in. I had to get the wider rubber insulators for a 4 core big block style, mine is a 350. When I bought mine a few years ago they offered a manual trans option. May be worth a call to them to see if they can help you out.

if he really wants to not have end tanks he can just put empty end takes on or take the cooler out and reinstall plugs. etc.

Also, you may consider running a engine oil cooler BUT only in the radiator not an external. because big blocks like heat yes, but good oil and an oil cooler even tho it adds to the radiator, probably aids removing enough heat that a smaller than HD 4 core ac etc rad would not be needed

RacingTurtles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Apu
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Geneva Edition
Engine Size
350 tbi
Where did you find that chart?

Side note: Most of the time, those parts sales people are going to try to upsell you. I'm in manufacturing and occasionally (quite often) I will just message the people in the Live Chat option box. Within minutes they send me stuff for like 10x the cost of what I know the item should be. They send me THE most expensive stuff. Then when I actually browse the catalogs and other literature, I end up ordering the $125 thing that does the job of the $1500 thing they tried to sell me.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
I've been using Champion radiators for all my vehicles. They work well and are priced fairly. All their radiators come with a lifetime warranty. I have only had to get one replaced. It was in a jeep wrangler used for a lot of off roading. The radiator started leaking after about 10 years. They replaced it, no questions or hassles. Here is the link.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size

Have you considered having the original radiator repaired?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Look at the similar threads below. Sir Robin has one about a radiator cu730. Might help

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
ended up going a Cold Case "77-87 GM truck 21 Inch 1.25/1.5 Outlets Cold Case Radiator" was quite pricey but i think it'll pay off. Got it off of High Five Motorsports, sold it a little cheaper. Never got an email of shipment or anything. Contacted them and said it had a lead production time of mid to late April. So that kinda sucks. Then i got the new Brothers flier and they now advertise aluminum radiators for Squares. Go figure. But at the same time, i doubt they had them at 21 inch and i'd probably be waiting twice as long for them.

When i swap it out, i'll fill you guys in on how it goes and take some pictures.

86c10twotone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size

Really calling working people idiots wow !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbcasterlin