That's a LOT of chrome........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was unaware of paint that looks like chrome, that's interesting.

I still think it's real chrome though for a couple reasons. First, the backs of the fenders are chrome, but nothing else under the hood is chrome. If it's getting sprayed, it would make sense to do all of it, including the dash. Second, the pink trim is a sign it was all done in the late 80's/early 90's. Also, I think at 12K, it would be cheaper to actually chrome the truck than spray it.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOL yea, I would think they removed like the fenders and maybe doors and had them done, but not sure on like the roof and 1/4's

Also the thing that always gets me, how do they chrome wheels and only do the front? I know almost all the wheels I've bought that are chrome, the back is not, just like bare metal or only like nilver or silver on the back.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I maintain that the truck is not chrome plated because of the dash pieces and the firewall. On the rare occasion that I get bored enough to try painting on my own (I'm terrible at it), if I am going to attempt a color change I will remove the fenders and the doors.

As for the usefulness of chrome paint that's supposedly $12,000 a gallon, I can't think of too many applications where it would be more beneficial to paint versus plate. Years a go when some of the NASCAR guys were running chrome paint jobs, sure, I can it helping there in terms of weight but that craze went away pretty quick.

Thankfully, we're in agreement that chrome should be an accent and not a primary feature of a vehicle.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If were NASCAR, I would have banned the stuff. At the right time of morning and afternoon, when the sun hits it, its bound to be a hazard blinding other drivers I'd think.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I still think it's chrome paint. If you're doing that kind of a job you'd take the fenders and doors off to do that job and therefore not shooting the firewall or dash which, IMO, if you're going to do it at least get the firewall too since your inner fenders are done. Also, that pink trim could have just been added because the lady (I hope it's a lady) wanted it on there. It'd be really easy to paint up the original trim piece pink. If it's not paint how else are you going to get the rear quarters chromed?? :shrug:

Another thing I really don't like about it is the little, bitty tire and wheel combo on it. It doesn't go with it at all!!!

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
If were NASCAR, I would have banned the stuff. At the right time of morning and afternoon, when the sun hits it, its bound to be a hazard blinding other drivers I'd think.

The same could be said for all the polished aluminum tanker trucks out there. Then again, those are rarely buffed to a mirror like finish these days.

I've been seeing a lot more sports cars covered in chrome lately, especially Lamborghinis. I would imagine the weight of actual chrome plating would completely ruin how the car feels so those things *Must* be painted with some stupid expensive paint.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I maintain that the truck is not chrome plated because of the dash pieces and the firewall.

This is the reason I think it IS chrome. It would be impossible (I think) to chrome the dash, firewall and roof. I see the quarters as a possibility.

If it's not paint how else are you going to get the rear quarters chromed?? :shrug:

I explained this in a previous post. Knowing the way these K5's are built, I think it could be done, it's just a lot of labor.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
We need to call the owner and have her answer these questions for us!! :D

Here's how the phone convo should go....

[Phone rings]
Owner: Hello?
Us: Hi, can we ask a few questions about your K5? We're very curious due to it's uniqueness.
Owner: Sure. I think it's beautiful and am always very anxious to talk to people about it.
Us: Did you actually chrome it or did you have it painted with a "chrome" paint at $12k a gallon?
Owner: I'm not sure what you mean??
Us: What we mean is how did you get your K5 to look so ridiculous and would it be possible to get a piece of the money tree you're pulling from to make something like that happen
[click]
Us: Hello?.................Hello?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Lol. I wish we could find out the real answer, it's really bothering me!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It sure not bothering cuz its ugly as hell and whoever did it, oughta be shot. I can only hope its paints so that is can be roughed up, re primed and re painted. Looks to be a beautiful truck other than the chrome.

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
wow i have never hated chrome more than i do now. wouldnt do it even if it was free

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh sum bitoth !!! Make it stop !!! I've seen and heard enough about that chrome POS.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm almost positive this was done with a "spray-on" chrome made by a company called "Spectra"......They offer a kit that allows you to "paint" the chrome effect on different mediums from plastic to metal. If I can find one of their ads, I'll scan it and post it up. It looks pretty damn close to chrome, and makes it easier to "touch-up" rock chips etc.....There are a few videos of the process as well, and it is pretty cool..Just google "Spectra Chrome"...Just don't know about doing a whole vehicle with it, but smaller parts like brackets etc. would be nice especially since it would be uber cheap to redo something if it were to get damaged, as compared to having an actual part "chrome-plated"........

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Please do NXT, then we can have ShaggyPigMan close this thread and make it stop once in for all. :roflbow: This thing just makes me want to vomit. :yucky: And I notice it don't even have guages in it. Which actually not a bad thing if someone was to mount some nice aftermarket guages in the window pillar and have the better of both worlds. Gueages and Idiot Lights.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david b