tach conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novassracer12

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I did a search and cant seem to find a pinout for a plug at the cluster. I have a 73 c10 with volt gauge and brake light at lower left. I have 2 different clusters that I have to choose from to put in the truck with tachs. one has the gas gauge on the same as the tach and the other has the gas at left side and its smaller. looking for a pinout for either one. been through alldata, autozone, and Haynes manual and all over online. thanks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I can't say about the cluster with the tach/fuel combo, that's from a big truck and the pinouts may be different. But if the other one is a similar year (with ammeter and mechanical oil pressure), then it should swap right in place of your stock cluster.

At one point I had 2 '77 K5's at the same time. One had a tach cluster and the other had a standard gauge cluster, I swapped them out and it all worked. The clusters had one of the terminals in two different locations (may have been fuel), but the trucks' dash harnesses were wired for both styles.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Someone here posted this on an ammeter to voltmeter swap not too long ago:

You can use the same spot in the carrier - but do not use the connections to the PC board. The ammeter is wired in series with the electrical load - a volt meter must be wired in parallel. It would not only not work, it would most likely immediately smoke your harness.

With the instrument cluster open, release the ammeter from it's posts. When it is out, remove the copper spring clips that connected the ammeter screws to the PC board - discard them.

That is all there is to eliminating the ammeter.

To feed the voltmeter through the PC board would require some involved modifications to the wiring harness. That was the reason for chucking the spring connectors - that and because it would prevent the voltmeter from seeing unregulated voltage.

But the voltmeter can read the vehicle's voltage from any point in the system. Note: the hot wire should be ignition switched (i.e. fed from a circuit that is only live when the key is in the run position).

Make 2 fairly long leads - maybe 3 feet long (best if one is red and one is black). They will run from the voltmeter, out of the back of the carrier and over to the fuseblock (red wire) and the common ground bus (black).

Use ring terminals at the voltmeter ends - and attach them to the posts with 10-24 nuts. Drill a hole, or fish the leads out of the carrier, and run them as decribed above.

Remount the voltmeter using the same posts as the ammeter and close the cluster up.

Use an in-line fuse on the hot red wire if you go straight into the fuse block (use the "I" bank). You can also find a convenient existing fused circuit to tap into (radio hot wire, clock, etc.) anything that is only powered up in the "RUN" position.

The black wire will go to any place that provides a good path to ground - as mentioned the common ground bus is good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP