Sway bar or air bags ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
I'm getting a really good deal on some air bags ... So kinda thinking of doing it its all 4 corners . Would this really help with body roll ?

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Air bags are just another form of spring and are individual to each wheel, a sway bar is also a spring but it doesn't support the truck, it resist different motion between each side. So it won't effect the way it reacts to a bump in the road but will effect roll in the corners. Air bags can do this too but would need to be very stiff (small dia. with very high air pressure) and you would get a hard ride.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
With Air Bags or Coils Springs, I'd be sure to run Sway Bars too. Reason being, Picture the Coil Springs or Air Bags as tall towers. And now you're setting your truck on top of those tall towers. They're going to have a tendency to lean or roll. :shrug: JMO. I know I can sure tell a difference in a Rear Coil spring truck and a Rear Leaf spring truck. Pros and Cons to both, but I'd just a use a sway bar with Coil or Air Bags.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Air bags on the rear of My 93 GMC 1500 and I sure like the way it rides.
I had installed new shocks previous to installing the air bags so I`ve a good idea how it was before.
Just tough to explain the difference,nice is all I can think of,then when I need to hook to the trailer to haul a load I just add twenty or thirty or more pounds of air to the bags and then even with a load the pickup rides level.
Do not connect any two airbags together with a T or a Y in the airlines,because,if You bump on one rear tire it will transfer that expelled air to the other side then back and foreth it goes until it settles just in time for another bump.

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you plan on mudding or any offroad, any flex can tear a bag as well

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here`s a pic. of what would closely resemble what I have in My 1500.These bags are TOUGH and made by Firestone.I know that they could "Possibly" get busted or a hole ripped through them but after 100,000 miles I`ve not had a problem one with them.Just do as recommended and keep them above 15psi.
I like the difference it made in the way My pickup rides.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1