Swapping 3/4 Ton springs into a 89 r1500 burb.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
The bags were installed around '05 and have worked fine. The ARB pump can be heard but it's the quietest of the three I've had. The first two pumps were different no-name brands I got off ebay, so their life expectancy was about what I paid for.

I hesitated to even suggest this option because of what you posted, but figured it was worth considering if you want to maintain the exact same ride quality you already have.

I'll definitely have to consider it. I highly appreciate the recommendation. It's not like that, I just don't want this truck to be a project truck if you know what I mean. Everything else I own is a project of some sort.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Measure your rear springs. '88 they went to the 64" springs but I'm not sure about Suburbans.

The longer springs were only on the new bodystyle trucks that started in '88. Suburbans weren't the new bodystyle until '92.

Don't know if I said this or not, but there's a 80's model c20 nearby in the local yard, it's got a 14 sf rear, toolbox bed truck.

Think those would be fine?
Either those or the helper springs.
I would like to do the air bags, but I feel that's something I can't complete within a few hours. Not to mention, for this truck, the added accessories I'm not a fan of. I want to try to keep it as it was when my dad gave it to me.

A light C20 would probably have good springs for you. Probably 7 leaves, plus the overload spring? Should be 56" too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Keep in mind though that to install the longer springs, you will need to drop that fuel tank again.

Oh, and with helper air bags, having the on-board compressor is just a luxury. You can simply plumb them into a Schrader valve, just like air shocks.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
The longer springs were only on the new bodystyle trucks that started in '88. Suburbans weren't the new bodystyle until '92.

That's what I figured

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Keep in mind though that to install the longer springs, you will need to drop that fuel tank again.

Oh, and with helper air bags, having the on-board compressor is just a luxury. You can simply plumb them into a Schrader valve, just like air shocks.

Ya know. I don't like that. Lol I hate doing that. But I do need to replace the sending unit so I can quit guessing how much fuel is in there.
I know it's time to get gas when I romp on it at a turn and it starves the pump momentarily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyHansen