Suburban Tow Pig Thoughts *Pics added*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
That should work pretty damn good once you get it all fixed.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
@Soundmound, I think I have the ABS module I pulled from that 97 K2500 Suburban. It didn't have any codes and ran well. You can have it if you want it. Since you are just the next state over I can probably drop it in the mail for not too much money and it would be there next day. Just PM me if you want it and I can see what it would cost to mail it from my business account.

The VSS being out will 100% cause the trans to shift bad or go into limp mode. Limp mode on a 4L80 is locked in 2nd gear. You can get a new connector with pins and wires for $6. New VSS is like $20, but they really don't ever go bad. Its just a fixed magnet hall effect sensor, so there isn't really anything TOO go bad.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Diagnosis is in: VSS and harness, ABS module, rear u-joint is the driveline vibration and need a front caliper- one is locking intermittently. I'm going to try and whittle him to a grand. Putting the VSS harness on now to be sure.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Diagnosis is in: VSS and harness, ABS module, rear u-joint is the driveline vibration and need a front caliper- one is locking intermittently. I'm going to try and whittle him to a grand. Putting the VSS harness on now to be sure.
If the brake hoses in front are the original ones, replace them! That'll make the caliper lock up, often on the passenger side but not always. My Burb did that and melted the ABS sensor when it caught on fire. The parts are a little cheaper on my half ton, than on a 2500 Burb, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
$20 harness replaced, trans back to normal! Also picked up the title tonight. Probably going to wait a week to register it though. I need to get some parts moving to remedy the brakes and u-joint. It's going to need a set of rear door contacts too if anyone knows someone. The tow pig has landed!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Congratulations! And fwiw, don’t be that guy and try to chew someone down on price AFTER you “buy” it. Not cool.
I’d have kept your $600 handshake down payment and kicked you off my property….
But alls well that ends well.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Congratulations! And fwiw, don’t be that guy and try to chew someone down on price AFTER you “buy” it. Not cool.
I’d have kept your $600 handshake down payment and kicked you off my property….
But alls well that ends well.
I didn't though I had considered it. He really was cool about the whole thing and threw in a brand new set of ramps from HF so I figured I'd just let it go and paid the $1200. I do have suspicions about the distributor now after a comment he made, but what's done is done and a super clean tow pig needing minor repair for that money can't be beat.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
A good steam cleaner is nice when you need it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood