Suburban Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It'd be kinda like you were driving around in a tin shed...:lol:

And on a day like today, it's 103* here, imagine the heat in that sucka without that headliner. :yucky:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
You should mod it so that it spritzes ya with a fine mist of water as it goes (kinda like those big units on NFL sidelines) to keep ya even cooler :waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You should mod it so that it spritzes ya with a fine mist of water as it goes (kinda like those big units on NFL sidelines) to keep ya even cooler :waytogo:

I need to get one of those house box fans and stick on the passenger seat with an inverter. :Moon:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
If he removes the headliner then just imagine what it sounds like with golf ball size hail hitting the roof on the burb.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I need to get one of those house box fans and stick on the passenger seat with an inverter. :Moon:

I've got a box fan at home you can test with but you gotta take pics of the set up and post them up....

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
If he removes the headliner then just imagine what it sounds like with golf ball size hail hitting the roof on the burb.

He's need to wear these....
You must be registered for see images attach

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Fabric stores have the Foam backed material, and sell it by the yard. Just take the old headliner down, rip the old **** off, lightly scrape the remaining foam off with a wire brush and shop vac. Get the 3M spray on headliner adhesive, and spray the cardboard, and lay the new material down as if you were putting tint on a window, then hit it with a rolling pin .

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Fabric stores have the Foam backed material, and sell it by the yard. Just take the old headliner down, rip the old **** off, lightly scrape the remaining foam off with a wire brush and shop vac. Get the 3M spray on headliner adhesive, and spray the cardboard, and lay the new material down as if you were putting tint on a window, then hit it with a rolling pin .

Dont literally hit it with the rolling pin, that will just put a bunch of holes in the headliner. Roll it :roflbow:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Ya know, this reminds me of something that O77 was asking about. That same foam backed material can be glued to alot of ******** inside the interior for a very custom cool look. They did the plastic door panels on my Dads 77 and it looked awesome, Im not sure if you were still looking to do something with your door panels or not O77.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That sounds like the way to do it, thanks for the info. I wasn;t sure about how to get the old foam off the original board but that wire brush idea sounds like the ticket. :waytogo:

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
85 and 87
Truck Model
K25- K25
Engine Size
350 and 350
I replaced the headliner in my 87 suburban about five years ago.

I found a kit on ebay. it`s was most likely the same stuff a few guys explained here. It was foam backed material. I used a wire brush LIGHTLY to remove the old foam. It`s easy to destroy it. Sprayed on the glue and let it set and rolled the material on. I did a damn good job for it being the first time i had ever done a headliner, only one little wrinkle.

The worst part of the job was putting the headliner back up. I didn`t have any help so i had to lay on my back while holding the liner up with my feet while re attaching what seemed to be a mile of trim that holds it up. It has held up perfectly and looks like the day i installed it. No sags at all.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I replaced the headliner in my 87 suburban about five years ago.

I found a kit on ebay. it`s was most likely the same stuff a few guys explained here. It was foam backed material. I used a wire brush LIGHTLY to remove the old foam. It`s easy to destroy it. Sprayed on the glue and let it set and rolled the material on. I did a damn good job for it being the first time i had ever done a headliner, only one little wrinkle.

The worst part of the job was putting the headliner back up. I didn`t have any help so i had to lay on my back while holding the liner up with my feet while re attaching what seemed to be a mile of trim that holds it up. It has held up perfectly and looks like the day i installed it. No sags at all.

Another problem is I want to remove the rear A/C crap and the headliner will have a hole in it back there when I do. :think:

might have to find a donor panel in a scrap yard to make it look right I guess..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

And set a pan of cold ice water in the front of the fan on the seat. :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow: :crazy:

You might be a redneck if ..... :laughing1:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loki1978