Suburban Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't forget these tips here 89S. I posted up a headliner thread some time ago. I used HVAC ductboard adhevisve instead of that expensive ass headliner adhesive. Trust me, HVAC ductboard deals with extreme tems both cold and hot for heat and AC, and I figured if it could hold up to that and with a blower going thru it, then it could handle the work of a headliner too. The stuff was about 1/4 price of the headliner adhesive in a spray can.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700

BTW, the headliner is still in perfect shape, no sagging or coming loose as of yet. :grd:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Get 'er fixed yet? :popcorn:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ya know, this reminds me of something that O77 was asking about. That same foam backed material can be glued to alot of ******** inside the interior for a very custom cool look. They did the plastic door panels on my Dads 77 and it looked awesome, Im not sure if you were still looking to do something with your door panels or not O77.

I have some vinyl that I may try to customize my door panels with...I think you can get the stuff shaped pretty good with a heat gun.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I have some vinyl that I may try to customize my door panels with...I think you can get the stuff shaped pretty good with a heat gun.

That would look good, the guy that did my Dads truck back in the day just glued the fabric to the Silverado door panels and all the interior pieces that led up to the headliner. It looked really sweet, I have noticed in magazines some dudes cutting out shapes in foam and gluing them between the fabric and panel for some really custom parts.

I kinda wish my 85 had the fancy Silverado interior so I could try it, I realize I could swap that **** in but I am leaving everything bare with a rubber floor mat instead. I want to see O77 do it though, that would be trick in his pickup.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Don't forget these tips here 89S. I posted up a headliner thread some time ago. I used HVAC ductboard adhevisve instead of that expensive ass headliner adhesive. Trust me, HVAC ductboard deals with extreme tems both cold and hot for heat and AC, and I figured if it could hold up to that and with a blower going thru it, then it could handle the work of a headliner too. The stuff was about 1/4 price of the headliner adhesive in a spray can.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700

BTW, the headliner is still in perfect shape, no sagging or coming loose as of yet. :grd:

And I see I responded to it and forgot about it, thanks for the refresher. I will take a shot at this over the winter I think. :waytogo:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
dude get that saggy liner fixed!!! :slap:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That would look good, the guy that did my Dads truck back in the day just glued the fabric to the Silverado door panels and all the interior pieces that led up to the headliner. It looked really sweet, I have noticed in magazines some dudes cutting out shapes in foam and gluing them between the fabric and panel for some really custom parts.

I kinda wish my 85 had the fancy Silverado interior so I could try it, I realize I could swap that **** in but I am leaving everything bare with a rubber floor mat instead. I want to see O77 do it though, that would be trick in his pickup.

You can still get a headliner in for cheap if you find the insert at a Pull A Part or someone scrapping a square that has one in it. It so easy to do yourself for a pick up. Did you see my thread? I put one in my 84 C20 with a insert that was to a cab I sold. It turned out great. It made a drastic effect on the truck. Quieter ride, much quieter in the rain, the stereo even sounds better. Not kidding about that either as wierd as it sounds. Also seemed to hold heat alot better so in the winter time, I ended up turning the heat down after I installed the headliner. Something so minor does make a difference. :crazy:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Yep, They cut little shapes like flames, or Chevy emblems from 1/4"foam, and glue them underneath. I would love to see your 85 some day... maybe the next time I`m up there for the Air Races.

Last edited:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
That sounds like the way to do it, thanks for the info. I wasn;t sure about how to get the old foam off the original board but that wire brush idea sounds like the ticket. :waytogo:

Using a wire brush on foam?? Seems like stiff nylon brush would get all the old loose foam off without the risk of shredding it. Plus, I would think that a good coat of headliner adhesive would seal the really small particles right back to the foam.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Yep, They cut little shapes like flames, or Chevy emblems from 1/4"foam, and glue them underneath. I would love to see your 85 some day... maybe the next time I`m up there for the Air Races.

Hell yeah, lemme know. If I am in town this year I am going to the Air Races, we missed it last year.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Using a wire brush on foam?? Seems like stiff nylon brush would get all the old loose foam off without the risk of shredding it. Plus, I would think that a good coat of headliner adhesive would seal the really small particles right back to the foam.

I think the idea is to get all the old foam off the board.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
85 and 87
Truck Model
K25- K25
Engine Size
350 and 350
I think the idea is to get all the old foam off the board.

Exactly, you need it as clean as possible for the best adhesion of the new liner.

A wire brush is the easiest and quickest way and harmless if you go easy with it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well this morning when I got to work I went to get my laptop and lunchbox out of the rear seat and there was **** all over fromt he headliner foam. Like brown snow. ome of my thumbtacks pulled out and it fell down some and the foam **** was falling into the back of the truck, damn it... :shitsweak:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Well this morning when I got to work I went to get my laptop and lunchbox out of the rear seat and there was **** all over fromt he headliner foam. Like brown snow. ome of my thumbtacks pulled out and it fell down some and the foam **** was falling into the back of the truck, damn it... :shitsweak:

Time to re-prioritize??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tylersmithbmx