Sub options in crew cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Well it's getting about time to start the audio upgrade in the ole Southern Bell. Everything audio wise in the truck is completely stock and still in great working order, but it's just time to build something a little better.
My main 2 questions are where the hell are we supposed to mount rear speakers?? Since its a crew cab should I just put some speakers in the rear doors??
As for subs I was thinking about a couple of 10's. I've always wanted to do a 3 10" sub setup but the ohms issue can be wierd with odd numbers of subs sometimes.
Any input or advice would be great. I haven't built a stereo in years, so I'm a bit rusty at this.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
My set goes like this in my 77 ; high end alpine deck (better s to n ratio for cd) , infinity kappa 6x9's in the front door's , infinity kappa 61/2 round's in the rear door's , two fosgate slimline sealed 12's behind the rear seat ,fosgste mono amp for the 12's and a big dog alpine 4 channel running the kappa's.
Just remember dont be afraid of tons of power , (distortion kills speaker's not power) , I over power all my set ups. Multiple amp's is the way to go for killer sound.
Stick with all high end stuff and big power , throw in some dyomat while your at it and hang on for some out of control sound.

I have basicly the same set up in my 2006 cc as well but I ran all seperate mid 's and tweet's in the door's ( boston acoustic pro's) and it has better and crisper high's than the 6x9, 6 round combo , but it cost a lot more.

:grd::patriot::patriot::patriot:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If you want to do a 3-10 setup, JL Audio makes 6 ohm subs that equate to 2 ohms when you parallel them. Get you a 2 ohm stable high quality amp and it'll beat your back. That being said, the subs & amps now are so efficient, the additional cost for this setup far outweighs the gain sound, so unless you really want to go that route, you could have a simpler setup with the (2) Shallow-mount 4-ohm subs behind the seat, bridged to 2 ohms, then run the same amp. The SM subs are not cheap, but cheaper than 3 JLs and take up less space. Not sure how much is behind the rear seat of the crew cabs.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have two fosgate shallow 12's , sealed , 4ohm ,parallel wired , on a fosgate punch p-700 amp and it hit's really hard and they fit behind the back seat of my cc , (I dont listen to rap crap) , but they really work great for country and rock.
:patriot::patriot::patriot:

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Just sticking with the 4 ohm 12" sub's is sounding like the way to go. As for the high's did you just put some cut out's in your door panels?? Can you post any pic's or your doors?? Will the window not hit the back of the speaker when it goes all the way down??

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I cut the metal at the lower front part of the door and have never had a problem the window hitting the speaker with a 6x9. I have seen spacer's for 6x9's to move them out , but I dont like them because you will be kicking the speaker all the time getting in , ( which kind of happen's anyway) , get good grills.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I will try and take some pic's

Latest posts

Forum statistics