Strange issue coming out of park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wczimmerman

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
We've been noticing times when the V2500 Suburban won't come out of park. As a warning that we are about to have the issue, the truck's parking brake light will be on when we start the truck (and stay on). The parking brake system is working fine and in these instances it is not set. In fact, if you move the selector slightly toward reverse you will feel a "clunk" like when you put it in reverse and the parking brake light will go out. I'm not sure where to begin on this issue. Any thoughts from the forum? We took the Suburban out today (it had the issue) and when we got home, I put it into park, then reverse, then park and so on a few times without any issues. I then turned the truck off and the turned the ignition on (didn't start) and the light was still off.

Transmission: TH400 (rebuilt with about 30K miles on it). The tranny shifts fine and drives fine. This is the only issue.

wczimmerman

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
So, I did a little troubleshooting today. I noticed that when the truck is started and you move the gear selector toward reverse (and it binds a bit), then the ignition "pops" back, the parking brake light goes out and the truck will then shift into gear just fine. So, is there a spring that could be sticking?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx