Step by step for rear axle seal replacement? 86 1/2 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd say if there was going to be any leak it would have shown up by now unless your differential oil level is low. If the seal is tapped in all the way home, I doubt you're going to have a problem.

Unpredictable1

Reaction score
First Name
LB
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Yup it's all good. I have a different issue now that was there before I did the seals (which I thought was a result of a leaky seal) that the rear driver side drum has a tendency to grab quick while lightly braking. It can turn some heads on an otherwise regular controlled stop.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Your brake linings looked pretty soaked. If you did not replace them and clean the drum surfaces I would assume it would still be grabbing

On the other hand, my rear brakes grab like a sunuva bitch and they look perfectly fine. I had the drums off when I was painting under there and everything was dry and I blew all the dust out and it still grabs hard. Especially the first few stops of a trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man