Step by step for rear axle seal replacement? 86 1/2 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unpredictable1

Reaction score
First Name
LB
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I need to do do a rear axle seal on my 86 1/2 ton.

It has a posi 10 bolt in it.

Trying to collect as much info so I can to tackle it, I'm handy with a wrench but never done something like this before.

A search on "seal" only gave me back 2 threads that weren't any help.

Thnx fellas.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Put the rear up on jackstands, remove wheels & brake drums, remove rear diff cover, remove crosspin in rear diff, kick one of the axleshafts in at the wheel flange so you can get the c-clip off the end of the axle inside the rear diff. Once the c-clip is off pull the axleshaft out and you should be able to get to the seal to replace it. Repeat for the other side. After re-installing the axle shafts and c-clips and installing the crosspin BE SURE to put red threadlocker on the crosspin bolt or it will back out. You should know how to do the rest.

Unpredictable1

Reaction score
First Name
LB
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Put the rear up on jackstands, remove wheels & brake drums, remove rear diff cover, remove crosspin in rear diff, kick one of the axleshafts in at the wheel flange so you can get the c-clip off the end of the axle inside the rear diff. Once the c-clip is off pull the axleshaft out and you should be able to get to the seal to replace it. Repeat for the other side. After re-installing the axle shafts and c-clips and installing the crosspin BE SURE to put red threadlocker on the crosspin bolt or it will back out. You should know how to do the rest.

Not sure what the crosspin is. I've take diff covers off etc. Is the crosspin the one people tend to break off?

Do I disassemble all the shoes/brackets completely?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The crosspin is what the spider gears ride on. The crosspin is about 5/8" to 3/4" thick and goes completely through the rear diff. It is held in place by a single special bolt that has a long tang on it that passes through the crosspin (you'll understand better once you remove it and see it for yourself). As far as the brakes no you don't need to remove them, just the drums.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Here's a pic of the end of the crosspin and to the right of it you can see the head of the bolt that holds it in...
attachment.php

Unpredictable1

Reaction score
First Name
LB
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Awesome thanks! Do both wheels have to be off the ground? Workin a tight space right now. If it's a must I'll figure it out. Done worse that's for sure.

So the center cap in the middle of the lugs just pries off? Leave all the brake hardware on around it? (I already have the drum off.)

You must be registered for see images

Unpredictable1

Reaction score
First Name
LB
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Nevermind - I think once I drain the diff, I kick in that hub like you said, remove c clip...axle slides out with the hub attached...

I need a coffee. lol

Unpredictable1

Reaction score
First Name
LB
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
My posi 10 bolt looks a bit different on the inside...sorry for the crappy pic - hand wasn't steady squat under the truck lol.

You must be registered for see images

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's not a posi, or a locker. Not even a G80 Locking Diff. That's just a plain Jane Open Peg legger Diff.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah that's an open diff. Just rotate it around till you find the crosspin retaining bolt and you'll be on your way!

Unpredictable1

Reaction score
First Name
LB
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Sweet, should make it easier.

That was my bad on the posi part - I practically never burn rubber in her and I thought one of RPO codes indicated it was a posi. Oh well!

I'll need the other wheel up to rotate that around, I know that much.

Thanks fellas!

Unpredictable1

Reaction score
First Name
LB
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I got the axle out n everything, went smooth.

Do you need a slide hammer or something to get the seal out? I don't want to nick anything using a screwdriver...

edit nevermind - used a hammer and pried it out since I don't care about the old one.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
edit nevermind - used a hammer and pried it out since I don't care about the old one.

Zactly !!! Since the old one doesn't matter... Did you get the new one tapped in OK without damaging it?

Unpredictable1

Reaction score
First Name
LB
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Zactly !!! Since the old one doesn't matter... Did you get the new one tapped in OK without damaging it?

Absolutely :) I had a small piece of wood I used to protect it while I tapped it in.

I'm still a bit nervous and I keep checking it. One thing I wish I did different was play closer attention to the ends of the axle that ride on the seals. Oh well.

So far there appears to be no leaks.

But I just wanted to pass along a huge thanks to everyone here for helping me do something I never tackled before. It was alot easier than I expected, and now when I look back on it - not sure why I was so intimidated by it lol.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Glad to help, sometimes the best way to tackle things is check it out and see and other times like this one it might have been hard to figure out how to get the axleshafts out. Nice to see it worked out and so far so good, rock on! :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AzLuke