Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Now i briefly mentioned this in another thread but i didn't gain any traction:

I would love to get a step bumper on the back of my '88 Jimmy when the time comes but i know that the original bumper is obviously a different style compared to the steps. The originals bolt to the frame in two with four bolts and then to the outer brackets with 4 more bolts. With a step bumper (much like on any Square body pickup like my '80 and brother's '77) it has the two bars that extend into the frame and take two bolts per side.

Now my question is, do the factory holes on Blazer/Jimmy frame line up with a step bumper and would the step bumper fit between a Blazer/Jimmy frame rails (i don't see why they'd be different but who knows)

Even if it does line up and you get it on, do the "tension hook" thingies on the tailgate still serve their purpose, uninterrupted by the step bumper?

I would plan on using a factory GM square body rear step bumper, not an aftermarket, as this is the look i'm going for.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated, thanks

(Below is my Jimmy with the setup for the original bumper, missing the center frame brackets)

You must be registered for see images attach

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Not mine.

good point, that one was right in my face and i forgot. . . but HOW is it on there?

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would think the bumper brackets lined up. I had seen step bumpers on Blazers and Suburbans several times when I worked at the dealer in town. Not common but at least a dozen different vehicles.

Could be just the fact that it was hard to secure them because the tank would be in the way.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Custom brackets hold this 84 pickup bumper on my burb. I dont have the outrigger brackets connected yet, I would have to fab where they would connect. Im holding the bracket in place in the 2nd pic and you can see where it lands. I also notched out part of the bumper to suck it into the body a little. I was going to just weld it too the bracket.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I put the bumper mounting brackets on the outside of the frame.

verrryyy interesting

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Looking at the bumper you attached it looks just like my bumper. But looking at the attachment for brackets shows they have a kind of Bend to them so I wonder if the mounting portion of the bumper is the same width as the frame. The brackets that hold my bumper to the frame are perfectly straight and mounted on the outside of the frame. So like if you looked at the bumper without any brackets the bumper mounting point is exactly the same width

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I can take more specific pictures if you want. Just tell me what you're looking for. In the end I would like to have the bumper sit a little closer to the body. But to do that I would have to chew away at the bumpers mounting location area. It wouldn't be hard just moving on to other projects right now.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
This is the area I'm referring to that I had to cut away to get it closer to the body, but I'd like to clearance it a bit more and pulled it in.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
This is the area I'm referring to that I had to cut away to get it closer to the body, but I'd like to clearance it a bit more and pulled it in.

I see you used factory holes on the frame? where did you get your bumper/bracket set?

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
The bumper bracket set was off the 84 pickup. They are upside down, put on the outside of the frame, and swapped from left to right. The flat little tab sticking out on it was connected to a tow bar that was on the 84 pickup. Like I said mine are perfectly straight so it wouldn't to hard to fab up. Hold up a piece of plate, spray through the holes to mark it, widdle it down to size.

Last edited:

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Here is a full pic of the bracket. The holes where already there on the frame so I can't tell you if they are original.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Here is the inside of the bumper. I cut some of it away due to how the ends of the frame turn down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128