Steering Stabilizer Different Than Current One Even When Said To Be Exact Fit/ Bolt Doesn't Fit Through Tie Rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Was in the process of replacing the steering stabilizer(dampener). The old one came off fairly easily and was loose as a Goose so I was very excited to be replacing with a new one that was toight like a toiger. Then realized these are different bolts and different stabilizers completely. I looked up exact fit for my truck on Ranchos website got the part number then found it at a NAPA. Somehow things aren't alike. New bolt for the extending side of the stabilizer doesn't fit through my tie rod. Can the bolts come out of this old stabilizer or are they attached to it? It seems like they came attached on this one from Rancho. The bushings are also different. Any experienced insight would be greatly appreciated. Should I try to find a new one like the one I just removed? What should I do next? Help...

Attachments

• 20240418_173826.jpg
    20240418_173826.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240418_173841.jpg
    20240418_173841.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 20

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
It's hard to tell if the hardware will transfer without seeing how the other side of the tapered stud is attached (through bolt, etc). The old one is a replacement unit also so I'd bet with some patience the hardware can be reused.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
It's hard to tell if the hardware will transfer without seeing how the other side of the tapered stud is attached (through bolt, etc). The old one is a replacement unit also so I'd bet with some patience the hardware can be reused.
I was racking my brain about how to get the bolts out of the old unit. Vice grip and hammer? There is a nut on both sides the same size the new one comes with but I don't see if they are attached or not.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's a stud. Gotta take the other nut and washer off then pull/force it from the red bushing. A hammer can work but be careful of damaging the threads.

Actually... in the bags of new hardware it looks like you have new studs for the new unit. Are those not the correct size?

Edit: After looking closer at the picture, that new stud in the top bag doesent look quite right. Is that not threaded on both ends like the one in the lower bag?

Last edited:

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
The stud for the tie rod end does not have long enough threads to go through the tie rod. Old VS New

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
@bucket , @animal , @HotRodPC

My last post is under review before being seen by members. Did I do something wrong? Talking about a specific brand too much? Please advise.
-Sam

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
As stated, that’s a stud. Remove the nut and move the stud over to the new stabilizer.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@bucket , @animal , @HotRodPC

My last post is under review before being seen by members. Did I do something wrong? Talking about a specific brand too much? Please advise.
-Sam

I took care of it. You didn't do anything wrong, it's just the modern era of message forums I guess. The big electronic brain sometimes thinks a photo might contain things of the no-no variety and it just needs to be approved by a moderator before it will show up.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The stud for the tie rod end does not have long enough threads to go through the tie rod. Old VS New
Ah I see it now. Yea, with the parts we get for anything anymore it's honestly a toss up if the hardware will be correct or not. It looks as though the studs they included are definitely for a larger hole. Best bet would be to do as nvrenuf said and use those old studs. Hopefully the nuts can be turned loose in a vise or double nut the other end to turn them loose then knock em on out of the old STAB.

Granted this is assuming they are the right OD stud for the new STAB bushings. If they aren't, time to exchange/return cuz they sold some bunk "stuff".

Side note: When I replaced mine (many moons ago now) I used the skyjacker 9000 series and it fit without issue. Same with the really nice Bilstein I ended up replacing that junk with.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Yes. That is what the diagram shows from the box. Threads on both sides. Neither side is long enough for threads to breach the other side of the tie rod and secure a nut to it. I will have to post more pics tomorrow.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yes. That is what the diagram shows from the box. Threads on both sides. Neither side is long enough for threads to breach the other side of the tie rod and secure a nut to it. I will have to post more pics tomorrow.
In the picture of the new stud not fitting in the tie rod, you have the stud the wrong way. Flip it around.

Maybe not. It's hard to tell. Looking at it again it may be right. The taper should go into the tie rod

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
In the picture of the new stud not fitting in the tie rod, you have the stud the wrong way. Flip it around.
Trust me I tried both ways. I will try again tomorrow just to triple check but either way the threads do not go far enough through the tie rod. It's like they didn't make the threads go down far enough.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like you have the smaller tie rod that maybe doesn't have a tapered hole? I dunno, the larger tie rod definitely uses the new stud like in your pictures.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Ah I see it now. Yea, with the parts we get for anything anymore it's honestly a toss up if the hardware will be correct or not. It looks as though the studs they included are definitely for a larger hole. Best bet would be to do as nvrenuf said and use those old studs. Hopefully the nuts can be turned loose in a vise or double nut the other end to turn them loose then knock em on out of the old STAB.

Granted this is assuming they are the right OD stud for the new STAB bushings. If they aren't, time to exchange/return cuz they sold some bunk "stuff".

Side note: When I replaced mine (many moons ago now) I used the skyjacker 9000 series and it fit without issue. Same with the really nice Bilstein I ended up replacing that junk with.
Yes I am going to try the double nut method and see if I can pry them out. The old studs are a match to the new studs as far as size, the old and new nuts fit on both old and new threads. What I am trying to say is the new hardware has the same size nuts. I just need the old studs to make it work easiest before returning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512