Starter upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ive been needing to get a new starter before I get my c10 back on the road. I believe my headers have almost killed this one but it has always been a little sluggish and very loud. It may be a odd thing to ask but, I was curious if there was such a starter that will spin the engine over faster and a little quieter. Much like the starters on the ls engines. Also something that will work with headers. I know nothing about starters so I really don't know where to start.

Any suggestions will help greatly.

My engine is a 350. It's nothing special other than a 284 crane cam and bored .030 over.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Mini torque starter. Will fire it right up
Along with a factory flywheel cover

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It's up to you, but before you spend the money on an upgrade to mini torque, maybe just pick up a rebuilt "normal duty" starter and give it try.

Could be that all along, your original starter was just weak.

Most 350's fire right up with just a click of the key to the START position. I don't think they even need to make one full revolution. That has always been my experience anyway.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's up to you, but before you spend the money on an upgrade to mini torque, maybe just pick up a rebuilt "normal duty" starter and give it try.

Could be that all along, your original starter was just weak.

Most 350's fire right up with just a click of the key to the START position. I don't think they even need to make one full revolution. That has always been my experience anyway.

My experience is that that is true as long as they have enough gas in the manifold to hold them over till the carb starts flowing. I have an Eddy 1406, and I give three-four shots of the accelerator pump before hitting the starter, and then you're right. It'll fire on the first rotation. It's like an on/off switch. If I forget to prime the manifold first, it can crank a bit before it'll light off. I don't know if the Qjet is the same or not.

Not sure what starter is on mine. I was told at one point it was a gear reduction starter, but to be honest I've never looked. In four years I've never had any problems that would motivate me to look-see what it is.

The smaller high-torque Corvette starter mentioned in the above thread sounds interesting.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My experience is that that is true as long as they have enough gas in the manifold to hold them over till the carb starts flowing. I have an Eddy 1406, and I give three-four shots of the accelerator pump before hitting the starter, and then you're right. It'll fire on the first rotation. It's like an on/off switch. If I forget to prime the manifold first, it can crank a bit before it'll light off. I don't know if the Qjet is the same or not.

Not sure what starter is on mine. I was told at one point it was a gear reduction starter, but to be honest I've never looked. In four years I've never had any problems that would motivate me to look-see what it is.

The smaller high-torque Corvette starter mentioned in the above thread sounds interesting.

Not sure which carb i got, but its an edelbrock, and it fires without priming it, for the most part. As soon as i turn the key to start i put my foot a little down on the pedal, and it goes immediatly

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So you're main complaint then is really just noise?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Not sure which carb i got, but its an edelbrock, and it fires without priming it, for the most part. As soon as i turn the key to start i put my foot a little down on the pedal, and it goes immediatly

So you're main complaint then is really just noise?

He's not the OP. He's just a contributor who is proud of his motor and wanted us to know how easily it starts.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Lol

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Me too. I was worse, like ... ROTFLOL

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Haaaa!

speedy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks guys. I called into our local starter shop and I told the guy what I was looking for. He wants me to come down and show me something I may be interested in. He didn't say much so I'll be going tomorrow to see what he has.

My engine has never fired right up. It normally takes about 5 or 6 tries to get the engine to bust off cold. My choke is broken so that doesn't help. I think it's losing prime at both the carb and fuel pump. I plan to swap out the carb and maybe go with an electric fuel pump. But thats a whole other project.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
He wants me to come down and show me something I may be interested in. He didn't say much so I'll be going tomorrow to see what he has.

Be careful Dude! If I called about a shop about a starter, and that was the response I got - my gaydar would be screaming.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Not sure about the "gaydar" but would still be on the cautious side. Probably has a stock starter for twice the money in a fancy box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus