Smog Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Ok...ok...I know I'm going to have a limited audience on this...but I'm in California and I don't have the luxury of just omitting the smog pump...

When I got the truck (1981 K1500 Suburban) the smog pump was removed and things cut/capped...however it looks like the engine side bracket for the smog pump was still there. Fast forward to today- I did an engine rebuild and picked up a pump from the local pick-a-part (with a bracket/checkvalves/etc) from a 1983 Chevy Impala. The part number lines up to the correct one for the square so I know the pump is correct, the engine side bracket I hade fit the pump but I have about 3 other brackets that I can't figure out how to attach. I doubt there is only one bolt holding this puppy to the engine!?

Is there someone out there that is actually running a smog pump that can snap a pic I can go by??! It's like trying to put together a Lego set with no instructions OR pictures!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok...ok...I know I'm going to have a limited audience on this...but I'm in California and I don't have the luxury of just omitting the smog pump...

When I got the truck (1981 K1500 Suburban) the smog pump was removed and things cut/capped...however it looks like the engine side bracket for the smog pump was still there. Fast forward to today- I did an engine rebuild and picked up a pump from the local pick-a-part (with a bracket/checkvalves/etc) from a 1983 Chevy Impala. The part number lines up to the correct one for the square so I know the pump is correct, the engine side bracket I hade fit the pump but I have about 3 other brackets that I can't figure out how to attach. I doubt there is only one bolt holding this puppy to the engine!?

Is there someone out there that is actually running a smog pump that can snap a pic I can go by??! It's like trying to put together a Lego set with no instructions OR pictures!
I still have the air pump on my 1984. Normally I'd tell you I'd snap a couple pics in the morning, but we got a good dumping of snow which may force me to drive my Jeep in the morning. I will try to in the next day or so snap pictures for you. If you haven't gotten pictures out of my by Thursday night, tag me and remind me as I'm off work on Friday and can definitely do it then.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
im in Oklahoma and absolutely nothing stops someone from removing smog stuff but they ALL do it.
it's lmost like they don't have to breathe the polluted air too? Never made sense to me.
<-- lookit Brandon

i sure wish the P.O. kid would not have hacked off the sm0g pump but there is a bracket still?
an 88 partial serp factory setup wont be what you're looking for I don't think.

I posted in this thread to say that after I started to undo the p.o. hacks under hood of my 88 blAZER ,I learned the metal fresh air hose that threads into the exhaust manifolds shares thread with dodge (diesel?) oil pan drain plugs.
if the hoses have been removed and the manifolds leak, you can plug them cheap and easy with the right Dodge oil pan drain plug.

hope this helps (somebody one day)

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
Well sh¡t... I was going to take a few pictures of mine, but I found that it's sitting off center (but still functional) with one bracket shoved against the lower radiator hose and not connected to anything... probably the product of having to quickly replace a water pump while on vacation. Mine looks like it should be held in three or four places, and there's some voodoo looking bracketry involved. I'll see if I can get it sorted tomorrow, and will grab a few photos if SirRobyn0 doesn't get to them first.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well sh¡t... I was going to take a few pictures of mine, but I found that it's sitting off center (but still functional) with one bracket shoved against the lower radiator hose and not connected to anything... probably the product of having to quickly replace a water pump while on vacation. Mine looks like it should be held in three or four places, and there's some voodoo looking bracketry involved. I'll see if I can get it sorted tomorrow, and will grab a few photos if SirRobyn0 doesn't get to them first.
Well so far I haven't lol. As expected I'm at work in the Jeep today....

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350

here is a link to a downloadable factory manual from the reference section on GMSB

page 845 section 6E-16 has a drawing of the pump and brackets

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Really hard to see, but here you go

Attachments

• 1769FA0D-F37F-458D-8CE5-38A057EF29EE.jpeg
    1769FA0D-F37F-458D-8CE5-38A057EF29EE.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 91

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Thanks All!

I have the manual and it has a good view of the bottom bracket which I have in but it's the top on throwing me as I can't Jenga the thing in there and make all the bolt holes line up!

I had to laugh at the "voodoo" bracketry because that is the pile I'm looking at from my donor but logic is telling me I only need 1 part of it...

That pic gives me a little something to go on!

Here's what I figured out so far...

Attachments

• PXL_20211230_004111606.jpg
    PXL_20211230_004111606.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 99

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Move out of California like everyone one else:patriot::party36::anitoof:

No but seriously I haven't seen one other than in pictures or YouTube videos. Mine originally was smogged but the only sign of it now a days is the plugs in the exhaust manifold. No clue where it even bolted on the engine:33:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks All!

I have the manual and it has a good view of the bottom bracket which I have in but it's the top on throwing me as I can't Jenga the thing in there and make all the bolt holes line up!

I had to laugh at the "voodoo" bracketry because that is the pile I'm looking at from my donor but logic is telling me I only need 1 part of it...

That pic gives me a little something to go on!

Here's what I figured out so far...
I'm pretty sure you have it mounted upside down, but I could be wrong. I really need to drive the truck tomorrow, and will as long as we don't get another round of snow overnight so hopefully I'll be of more help then.

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Hahaha...ok...I was laughing out loud when I read it was upside down (which makes perfect sense for the damn thing because it ridiculous)...then I went back to switch it around and the bottom bracket looks like it takes a long pass through bolt, front side no threads/backside threads...if I were flip it, the other mounting end of the smog pump has threads on both sides which leads me to believe it mounts to a stationary bracket somehow?

And I agree 80BrownK10, I even tried to reverse engineer a removal video but couldn't get a good look at how the brackets were set up!
Move out of California like everyone one else:patriot::party36::anitoof:

No but seriously I haven't seen one other than in pictures or YouTube videos. Mine originally was smogged but the only sign of it now a days is the plugs in the exhaust manifold. No clue where it even bolted on the engine:33:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Lmao upside down.
UR upside down LOL...
Hahaha...ok...I was laughing out loud when I read it was upside down (which makes perfect sense for the damn thing because it ridiculous)...then I went back to switch it around and the bottom bracket looks like it takes a long pass through bolt, front side no threads/backside threads...if I were flip it, the other mounting end of the smog pump has threads on both sides which leads me to believe it mounts to a stationary bracket somehow?

And I agree 80BrownK10, I even tried to reverse engineer a removal video but couldn't get a good look at how the brackets were set up!
We got another 10" of snow, so did not drive truck today again. Sorry this has just been bad timing.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man