Smog issues in CA. Edlebrock TBI intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What a shame. Sorry to hear you got an asshat tech, and I'd be damn sure to let him know that too as well as his boss. Is he really this stupid that he can't figure out if an intake manifold is legal or not by looking at it? TBI unit present, PASS, EGR present and functioning, PASS. What a damn dipswitch !!! :flipthebird:

Brdjeep

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
The real zinger is he is the owner! Been in the same location for 30 years. After I see the referee I'll be heading back for my money.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
What a shame. Sorry to hear you got an asshat tech, and I'd be damn sure to let him know that too as well as his boss. Is he really this stupid that he can't figure out if an intake manifold is legal or not by looking at it? TBI unit present, PASS, EGR present and functioning, PASS. What a damn dipswitch !!! :flipthebird:

Oh yeah, I need the names of the shops who are breaking the smog laws by failing you.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The real zinger is he is the owner! Been in the same location for 30 years. After I see the referee I'll be heading back for my money.

Cool, so you can get your money back for the failed test?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
They should give him his money back, because THEY were wrong.
Like I said earlier. So many of us bust our asses to play by the rules, then you get some asshat on a power trip, that wont take the time to use the reference material provided by the state....Muther fugger probably told the state official that it didnt have egr, just so he would back him up...which is not possible, because there are no TBI Manifolds, OEM or Aftermarket for the sbc or bbc, without EGR.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
...which is not possible, because there are no TBI Manifolds, OEM or Aftermarket for the sbc or bbc, without EGR.

That's exactly what I was thinking. As soon as the dip switch could visually SEE Edelbrock and TBI unit, he should have had a visual pass. The dumbfugg must not be aware of aftermarket equipment. I just wasn't sure if there had been something new made wo EGR.

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
Two reasons why my parents moved here in the 60,s. One,,,dad grew up in Michigan and did not want to be cold anymore,,,,,Two,,,,CA was different than it is now,,,,,I hope I can take my kids with me when I leave this state after I retire before they get rooted here real good and completing this cycle of misery again,,,,,,

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good Idea. Get outta there. My parent's also migrated to CA with their parents from Eastern states, and that's where my parents met was in So Cal. After divorced, mom an step job tranferred to OK. After my daughter was 2, I moved to OK too, so thankfully I got my kids outta there in time. My son was born in OK.

Brdjeep

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Met with the Ref.

Met with the ref this morning. Of course he backed me up. All is good with the manifold as we all knew. However I had made a mistake. I had planned to fix this prior to the appt. My dipstick is mismatched to the tube. It never shows any oil. He couldn't proceed with the test. Which was fine. I guess the state doesn't want to have any engines melt down on the treadmill. I was happy he asked what the hell was wrong with the previous tech. So I'll schedule another appt. and be done with it. On a side note I just noticed my DS exhaust manifold has cracked between 1 and 3. Off to the junk yard tomorrow. So I may have failed today anyways. After I pass I will be getting some refunds. I'll use the local BAR office, BBB, or whatever.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Met with the ref this morning. Of course he backed me up. All is good with the manifold as we all knew. However I had made a mistake. I had planned to fix this prior to the appt. My dipstick is mismatched to the tube. It never shows any oil. He couldn't proceed with the test. Which was fine. I guess the state doesn't want to have any engines melt down on the treadmill. I was happy he asked what the hell was wrong with the previous tech. So I'll schedule another appt. and be done with it. On a side note I just noticed my DS exhaust manifold has cracked between 1 and 3. Off to the junk yard tomorrow. So I may have failed today anyways. After I pass I will be getting some refunds. I'll use the local BAR office, BBB, or whatever.

Mismatched dipstick is conidered an opening in the pcv system.

Brdjeep

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Totally makes sense. I knew it would have been a problem if they pulled it. I'll get a matched set tomorrow at the salvage yard. I stopped by after the appt. to scope it out. They had a lot of good stuff. Should save me a crapload over LMC. 5 Burbs, 10 or trucks and 3 blazers.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Mismatched dipstick is conidered an opening in the pcv system.

That makes now sense as long as the dipstick hole is covered. You should pass with a cork in it. I'm sure the reason he would not test it, is he could not verify that the motor had the correct amount of oil in it to run the test and didn't want responsibility for a blown seized motor while running high rpm oh the hamster wheel.

But yes, open dipstick hole, or grommet left unplugged in a valve cover or even a vented oil cap is a leak in the PCV system.

Brdjeep

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Finally Done!!!!!!!

Passed inspection with the ref today. Got my money back from the first shop. They weren't happy. They still said they were within their right to fail. Sticking to "It is law that the part number must be visible". They flashed the "CALIFORNIA AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR LAWS AND REGULATIONS - 2012 EDITION
State of California Laws and Regulations Pertaining to Automotive Repair Dealers ,Smog Check Stations and Technicians,Official Lamp and
Brake Adjusting Stations and Adjusters" book put out by California Department of Consumer Affairs Bureau of automotive repair. Said it is in here that says we are right, but we are going to give you a refund anyways... They said I will have this problem at any shop as long as I have the Eddy intake installed. Hopefully this wont be true. Either way I have a couple years till the next inspection.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Passed inspection with the ref today. Got my money back from the first shop. They weren't happy. They still said they were within their right to fail. Sticking to "It is law that the part number must be visible". They flashed the "CALIFORNIA AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR LAWS AND REGULATIONS - 2012 EDITION
State of California Laws and Regulations Pertaining to Automotive Repair Dealers ,Smog Check Stations and Technicians,Official Lamp and
Brake Adjusting Stations and Adjusters" book put out by California Department of Consumer Affairs Bureau of automotive repair. Said it is in here that says we are right, but we are going to give you a refund anyways... They said I will have this problem at any shop as long as I have the Eddy intake installed. Hopefully this wont be true. Either way I have a couple years till the next inspection.

A part deemed by a manufacturer to be a direct OEM replacement does not need an EO number. Part number is moot, they go off of OEM functions, which, in this case, the EGR provision is sufficient...per ARB. That guy needs to go back to Smog tech class.

Brdjeep

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
This crap is infuriating. The guy at the desk looked at the reference guide (appendix G) like it was some ****** doc that I printed up from some know it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26