Smog issues in CA. Edlebrock TBI intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brdjeep

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Ok. I have an 89 Blazer 350 TBI. I just failed the visual, yet passed the sniffer. The part in question is the Edlebrock performer TBI intake (3704). The tech failed it because he couldn't see a part number to verify the actual part. I spoke the Edlebrock tech line. They sent me the papers that were included in the box explaining that the intake is considered a factory replacement. I showed this to the tech and he even called BAR. BAR backed the tech. He wont budge. Of course the part numbers were cast on the bottom.

Has anyone else had this problem with the TBI intake from Edlebrock? I am thinking I may just get an appt. with the referee. Gotta love Kalifornia smog laws.

Brian

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
why even live there is it worth the trouble tell that tech to eat **** and die or take it to another shop for smog testing and show them the papers before hand.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have no input other than that tech is a big poopy head. If it passes the sniffer then it shouldn't matter. It also shouldn't matter that the casting # isn't visible, I'll bet Edelbrock doesn't (or hasn't) even manufactured a TBI intake that wasn't smog legal.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That intake Is smog legal, and the tech is an idiot, and needs to loose his license. Call BAR , and ask for John Baltazar, tell him Jim Leary in Patterson referred you to him. Tell him whats going on, and he should be able to help you get this sorted out.
Might not hurt to call Edelbrock and let them know whats going on too.
As long as the EGR is present, and functioning,,it doesnt even matter where its located on the manifold.
You can also try a different smog shop, or even the local referee.
the ref is the same cost as a regular smog, and he will probably back you up so you never have this problem again.
Andy, we have a really stupid visual inspection process here, and there are more and more idiots being issued snog inspection licenses every day.

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
What did you do, tell the tech his wife is fat or something? Maybe he's a Ferd guy and just wanted to rattle your cage. It's too bad Edelbrock didn't put the casting numbers on the top surface, but with "Performer TBI" cast in plain view it shouldn't be an issue. Having the contact name at the BAR Jim gave you is the easiest thing to do, if that doesn't pan out just schedule an appt. with a ref and be done with it.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
wow I had no idea it was that terrible there... so glad there is nothing but a visual safety inspection here!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
We don't even have a safety inspection here. We probably should though, there's a lot of junk on the road here. On the other hand, the people doing the inspections would probably end up being power happy, and then there would be the BS that 89S has to deal with.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah, it sucks...if my folks were alive, I would ask them wtf compelled them to move here in the 60s.
Brian,
I put a call in to John, and explained the situation. Waiting for a callback.

Brdjeep

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Jim,
Thanks for looking into it for me. I'll try to call tomorrow if my schedule allows. I'm 32hrs into a 60hr shift.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok, just heard back from John Baltazar, who is a Supervisor for the referee program in Cali. He directed me to appendix G of the smog tech reference guide, which I have copied and paisted. Go tell this clusterfuck that he needs to use his reference materials, or find another business to bein...Ca smog laws are hard enough to deal with already withou Ass Monkeys like him that go take a few night school courses and think they know everything by heart. Intake manifolds do not need a CARB EO number, as long as all original equipment(EGr) is hooked up and functioning.

CARB Definitions of Aftermarket Parts
Replacement Part
“Replacement part” means any aftermarket part intended to replace an original equipment emissions-related part and which is functionally identical to the original equipment part in all respects which in any way affect emissions (including durability) or a consolidated part.
California Code of Regulations (CCR) Title 13 § 1900 (b) (20)
Replacement parts do not require a CARB exemption to be installed on vehicles in California.
Examples include replacement air filter elements, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor caps, chromed valve covers, replacement EGR valves, Intake manifolds with same provisions as OEM, and replacement carburetors. (Note: A replacement EGR valve or carburetor must be specified as replacement, by the part manufacturer, for the vehicle on which it is installed).

Last edited:

Brdjeep

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Jim,
Thanks for the info. I managed to stop by another shop with all of my paperwork (Product flier, inspection, etc) He told me I should have a sticker that tells the tech the parts are smog legal. These people are all asshats. Nobody understands what a replacement part is. And that it doesn't require an E.O. #. I made an appt with the referee for the 11th of April. I figure this will end this painful debacle.

Where did you find the "Intake manifolds with same provisions as OEM, and replacement carburetors." In the 8-2012 revision of the Smog Check Reference Guide, appendix G, the section about replacement parts is the same minus the part about intake manifolds.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Man what a bunch of ********. I thought we had it bad here.

Posted on my iPod 4th Gen using PUNCTUATION.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Jim,
Thanks for the info. I managed to stop by another shop with all of my paperwork (Product flier, inspection, etc) He told me I should have a sticker that tells the tech the parts are smog legal. These people are all asshats. Nobody understands what a replacement part is. And that it doesn't require an E.O. #. I made an appt with the referee for the 11th of April. I figure this will end this painful debacle.

Where did you find the "Intake manifolds with same provisions as OEM, and replacement carburetors." In the 8-2012 revision of the Smog Check Reference Guide, appendix G, the section about replacement parts is the same minus the part about intake manifolds.

That was added in by me for clarification, And was verbal from John Baltazar, due to the fact that edelbrock has deemed the manifold direct replacement.
even Without the wording of other direct replacement parts, they still apply under the umbrella heading of Direct Replacement aftermarket parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Squarebody322