'88 TBI Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Make sure there's enough clearance for a Torrington bearing,theoretically not necessary,but I'd want one.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Summit used to offer a kit with a roller button too, but I don't see it anymore.

I'll just recap for ya. So far i've already got practically everything. i was doing a test fit, got the new roller cam in it, put some lifters in, a head and rocker arm. Found that i'll need a shorter pushrod. Then i started looking at the timing set. I'll need smaller cam bolts because they overlap the hole where the cam button would go. and then the cam button that came with the new Cloyes timing cover was just barely too big and would not fit. So i know i'm in need of a few things. My dad noticed it didn't have anything between the cam gear and block and said that it was strange. Then as i mentioned above, started hearing about thrust bearings and thrust plates, etc. Summit tells me "This timing set won't need a thrust bearing. The roller cam blocks that it is used with have a thrust plate between the timing set and the block to keep the cam in position (i don't have one?). Plus, the previous-gen camshaft can't be used with this set because the bolt pattern is smaller in diameter." I knew that, as i got a roller timing set to accommodate my roller cam.

If you've simply had enough, you can come over to ol Western PA and help me assemble the thing. Might even let you sit in the dually too ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Which Cloyes timing cover did you get? I only posted the link for the timing set in case you decided to run a thrust bushing. The sprocket is already machined for bearing clearance.

So I guess your cam button is retained by a lock plate? At one point I had a 327 and it's cam button was a basic brass/bronze one and iirc, the only thing that retained it was the edges of the sprocket bolts. I can't say for sure though, that was in the late 90's.

Oh and I wouldn't mind the short drive to come visit, but I'm currently working in Texas, lol.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Which Cloyes timing cover did you get? I only posted the link for the timing set in case you decided to run a thrust bushing. The sprocket is already machined for bearing clearance.

So I guess your cam button is retained by a lock plate? At one point I had a 327 and it's cam button was a basic brass/bronze one and iirc, the only thing that retained it was the edges of the sprocket bolts. I can't say for sure though, that was in the late 90's.

Oh and I wouldn't mind the short drive to come visit, but I'm currently working in Texas, lol.

Holy cow, Texas. I'm a bit jealous, not gonna lie. Sounds like you're in the right line of work.

We'll have to B.S. sometime for sure man.

I got a roller timing set for my block (listed below) and a heavy duty Cloyes timing cover (also listed below) with the cam button built in, with adjuster/locking screw. I haven't seen a TBI motor swapped to roller in my research, so I had to do a ton more research on my own. I spoke a lot to Summit technicians (questionable at times) and Brian Harris himself from TBI CHIPS. These were the suggested parts below.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G6601R-9

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
SO I'm getting angry. My 350 build has been anything but productive. It gets the backburner, both with my free time and financials. But since the '80s big block is almost due for spontaneous rapid disassembly, I'm trying to get this motor off the stand and running in the Jimmy as soon as I can.

Now every time I've attempted to make some progress, I keep running into a roadblock. Now this is expected, being my first motor build and being a pretty involved flat tappet to roller swap. Now after plenty of planning and "help" from Summit technicians, I had buy a roller timing set to match my roller cam. They told me I should be using a cam button, so they found the timing cover/cam button appropriate for my application.

Got the cam in. Test fit the timing gear, but now the cam button will not fit through the gear to the cam. AND the bolts holding the gear on overlap the hole as well. So i was able to widen the timing gear inner hole enough for the cam button to clear. Then the bolts, I bought external Torx bolts and had to smooth down the edges of those; THEY STILL GET IN THE WAY. What now? Are there small allen head bolts i can buy that'll get the job done, much like the aftermarket timing cover bolts I bought? Any help is appreciated. . . need to get this flippin thing done.

@bucket , back from Texas yet? haha

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah I'm back, for now anyways lol.

For fastening the cover, I'd just skip the washers and just use the Allen bolts. For the button, I'm not sure. I never realized that the button was made into that cover insert. I always assumed that the adjuster screw simply pushed on a standard cam button.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's probably some hardened Allen bolts that will work fine for the cam gear available at a hardware store, but the size probably varies by manufacturer. I've got a selection that I can look through and get a measurement.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Yeah, that's what it took. Tracked down some allen head bolts. Exactly what this called for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969