SM465 Clutch Reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I need some help finding a new clutch master cylinder reservoir and hose. My hose is cracked and leaking, and I can't find a replacement anywhere. Does nobody make the reservoir and/or reservoir hose/line to the master anymore???

Are there any other models/vehicles that are compatible that might broaden my search?

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Does anybody know the exact size (inner diameter) of the reservoir line?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Rock auto. The listing for suburbans doesn't show anything, but if you pull up the same year pick-up it gives you the manual trans parts and clutch master cylinder and line

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Where did you see that? I looked all over on Rock Auto at different models (and years too) and didn't see it.
To be clear, I'm not talking about the hydraulic line between slave and master, I mean the non-pressurized hose from master to reservoir.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Where did you see that? I looked all over on Rock Auto at different models (and years too) and didn't see it.
To be clear, I'm not talking about the hydraulic line between slave and master, I mean the non-pressurized hose from master to reservoir.

my bad. I thought you were after the pressure line. That's odd, they seem to disregard those parts completely.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Somebody will carry that. Call Napa and see if they have one. Or hit the scrap yard and pull 6 or 8 of them and sell one to me, as I would like to have a spare lol.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Nobody carries that reservoir line anymore, not the dealers, nobody. Dealers and auto stores also don't carry the reservoir diaphragm, that's the rare item. Luckily, after inspection, mine is still good and so is the cap. I will be reusing the reservoir, cap, and diaphragm.

As for the reservoir line, I did some research and found this 1/4" Tygon tubing the way to go here, probably better than the original. This tube is designed to withstand crazy chemicals and it is commonly used by motorcyclists when mounting their remote reservoirs for clutches and brake masters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161547605110?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
1 foot is just about perfect length (maybe take 1cm off)

I also found out that if you need a new diaphragm, either hope you find one in a junkyard, or strangely enough the 91-96 Jeep Cherokee XJ's share a similar cap with diaphragm that fits the stock sm465 reservoir perfectly. I will not be doing this, but good to know.

A third option is to install a universal aftermarket remote reservoir, something like this kit below, which comes with reservoir and line:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-11098

I was about to order this, and this would be a good fit: the reservoir line to clutch master cylinder is the proper 1/4" ID

Alaskaskiff

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chassis
Engine Size
I used bulk clear plastic tubing several years ago and have no issues. Being clear you also get a check of fluid condition.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just look at local junkyards, those parts were used on many different GM vehicles in the late 80's and into the 90's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64