Side tank removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carpart67

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Fuel tank brackets and removal

Excuse my stupidity but I'm fairly new to these trucks. I have an 86 High Sierra with dual tanks. It looks to me like they are held in with large "C" shaped brackets that wrap around the bottom of the tank. One of the tank brackets on my truck has rotted. Also I've got some straps that are non existent.

I've been doing some research, and from what I gather the tank brackets are 2 pieces and the 2nd part of the bracket that wraps around the tank is only needed to hold the plastic shield on. Is this correct? I don't think the shield needs to go back on.

I have a single tank parts truck with a fairly new tank and straps. The brackets are also in good shape. Would it be possible to swap the tank, brackets and straps to the dual tank truck?

Also is there a write up anywhere on how to switch from dual to single tanks?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
there is 4 bolts on each bracket that bolt through on the inside of the frame. 8 total. The filler neck will come loose at the bedside with a few screws. Hardest part is fuel lines and sending unit wires, make sure you dont damage them. The straps come off tank with a nut on each one, but use plenty of penetrating oil and pair of vise grips so not to twist off strap. Tank straps are reversable if need be, but if you don't need to disturb them leave them alone. I'd also discard the plastic shield that goes on the bottom and just paint the tank/straps with a good paint instead. I replace alot of tanks because they get dirt under shield and rust out, but rest of tank looks perfect

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

carpart67

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Thanks guys. I removed the tank from my parts truck. It's only a few years old and in good shape. I took the whole bracket/strap assemble off together at the same time still attached to the tank.

It looks to be the same size as the tank on my driver so I'm going to use the brackets,straps and tank from the parts truck all on the driver. I'm going to paint everything up to prevent rusting then I will drop the tank from my driver, swap the sending unit,because I know it works, and then put all the gear on my driver.

The passenger side tank leaks and is not in use so I think I'll just remove it and cap the lines. I can always replace it later.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
A drawing of the OEM installation - for reference:

You must be registered for see images attach

You might want to replace the anti-squeak strips (item 4 in the dwg) when you remount.

carpart67

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
A drawing of the OEM installation - for reference:

You must be registered for see images attach

You might want to replace the anti-squeak strips (item 4 in the dwg) when you remount.

Are they necessary? They weren't on the parts truck.

And thanks for the drawing!

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Nothing is necessary, but they do prevent the tank from moving around within the straps/brackets.

Also, they fill the gap between the tank shell and the straps. I've seen more than one tank develop a hole due to a small rock getting in that gap and working a hole through the steel.

carpart67

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Nothing is necessary, but they do prevent the tank from moving around within the straps/brackets.

Also, they fill the gap between the tank shell and the straps. I've seen more than one tank develop a hole due to a small rock getting in that gap and working a hole through the steel.

Alright thanks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I removed the plastic shield from mine and pitched it. My tank brackets aren't in the best shape, but they were all I had at the time. When I get a chance, I'm going to drop the tank back down and install the brackets that don't have the extra part for the shield mounting.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
IMO the plastic sheilds are a joke. My 76 has a metal tank sheild and it is by far a better design. Theres nowere for dirt to set, so the tank doesnt rust.

carpart67

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I'm not going to use the plastic shield again.

I've got a set of brackets in good shape, new straps, a fairly new tank, and am working on sourcing something for anti-squeak pads, and longer line. So really all I've got to do is clean and paint the parts, test the sending unit, and to put it all back together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare