Show me your 8 lug wheels!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
I wasn't aware you had to have the centers bored out on those hummer wheels. Thought they already fit for whatever reason. is it just the front axle that needs boring or both axles?

I don't actually know, I haven't mounted them yet. That pic is on his axle before I bought them. All 4 are bored out the same.

Whether they needed it or not, I got wheels and tires pretty cheap. As long as they work, I don't care.

Last edited:

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I put a set on my 74 to get it home when I picked it up. the rears fit fine, but the fronts needed a tiny but of work to fit over the front hub. I have a big hub dana 44. some work with rough grit sandpaper was enough for them to slide on.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I put a set on my 74 to get it home when I picked it up. the rears fit fine, but the fronts needed a tiny but of work to fit over the front hub. I have a big hub dana 44. some work with rough grit sandpaper was enough for them to slide on.

I was curious about fitment on the hubs for a 14 bolt rear axle was why I had asked, FWIW. Now that I think about it when I convert my front to 8 lug I wonder if the size of the hub diameter changes. Food for thought. I might just see about buying a separate 10 bolt to rebuild, that way when it comes time to swap all I have to do is drop the old axle and swap the new one in...

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I went in for a set of the Ford 8 lug stockers and found a set.
I was tired from being at the junkyard for hours and told the boy he could come back the next day with one of his buddies to get the wheels.

He proceeds to show me photos of a set of 5 chrome-ish wagon wheels that he found, all with center caps.
You must be registered for see images attach

I told him he has to clean them up if he wants to run them on my truck, as they were ugly.

I have a set of 285/75/16 tires in the backyard that were free from somebody just giving them away.

He took them today to school as he is in the auto shop for a while.
I just got these photos of one of the wheels without the original tire and still filthy.

Then the next is one of the wheels that had been all cleaned up with 00 steel wool wearing one of those free tires.

Looks better than I thought they would.
Not bad for $17 each wheel...

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Hell yeah!!!!!:big_banana_Dance:

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Anyone have the newer style chevy 18 or 20 inch rims with a 2inch adapter. Been trying to figure out if the 2 inches will correct the spacing.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Anyone have the newer style chevy 18 or 20 inch rims with a 2inch adapter. Been trying to figure out if the 2 inches will correct the spacing.

What the back spacing of those wheels? I just installed these 16x10's on my truck (see next post). They have 4.5" of back spacing.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
What the back spacing of those wheels? I just installed these 16x10's on my truck (see next post). They have 4.5" of back spacing.
Measured my 16.5 and a friend's 2012 2500 LTZ rims. Placing a big level I had in my tool box on the face of the newer rims I measured 4 inches to the back side of the lug holes. Had a hard time getting the width on the newer rim but I came up with 9 inches. Going to call it 10 because 9 just doesn't sound right. My 16.5 measuring the same way was 8 inches from the front to the back of the lug holes and the width is 10 inches. The adapter I would have to use would add 2 inches. So the rims would sit 2 inches more inside the wheel well along with 2 inches longer from the center of the hub. I'll have to do some measuring when I get back home and turn the wheels and see what it looks like if I add 2 inches to the back side.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Craig 85 I really like the looks of your truck!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@Bullet Bob I looked up the specs for 2011 and up GM 8 lug wheels and here's what I found.
Size: 20x8.5
Lugs: 8
Bolt Pattern: 180mm OLD GM WHEELS are 165.1mm
Offset: 44mm

The widest wheel I found was 8.5". The is the measurement between the inside of the wheel lips, not the outside edge of the wheel. Here an 8.5" wheels has an overall width of about 9.5" (about a 1/2" for each wheel lip). When you measure back spacing, it is from the outside edge of the back of the wheel to the mounting area near the lugs on the back of the rim. None of the measurements are taken from the front of the wheels. Just wanted to make sure we're comparing aplles with apples.

Back spacing of the new GM wheels should be over 6".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128