Should i fix the TBI or go to carb? And what's this wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
tbimods has some decent info, for sure. especially if you are looking to make mods and more power. but nothing beats the Drive-ability manual from GM if you are messing with a stock system. it is like the Bible on TBI and is available in the reference library on this site.
The driveablitlity manual was helpful. I rediagnosed with that and its telling me wiring or ECM.
Not fixing the wiring and im buying a nothing computer, so there we go, lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I still want to know why he doesn't have his constant 12v source.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Read post 20 and 26
Oh THAT always hot. There should be 2 potential ground sources for it, but always hot sounds proper to me since it eliminates a potential failure point when the ground can be the only switching going on.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
2 hots at the fp relay? 1hot at each injector when unplugged.hot to the ecm?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Do you have pulse at the injectors?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
The driveablitlity manual was helpful. I rediagnosed with that and its telling me wiring or ECM.
Not fixing the wiring and im buying a nothing computer, so there we go, lol

computers are available and pretty straightforward to swap out. you can likely use your current PROM chip.

did you go through the crank, no start chart?

what circuit did it say had wiring issues?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
computers are available and pretty straightforward to swap out. you can likely use your current PROM chip.

did you go through the crank, no start chart?

what circuit did it say had wiring issues?
I went threw the flow chart with the knowledge i had gained when working on it a few months ago. Got to a certain point and i had to go check more things. So i hooked a battery to it to re-check some things, and now everything has changed. So i went threw it again and now it telling me all sorts of other things are bad, that i know aren't because i replaced them.
Im going crazy chasing my tail with this thing. Everytime i mess with, something else stops working.

When i was trying to fix it for my boss it ran great then it didnt.
Power the pump, but pump wouldn't come on, so i replaced it. Ran for a few minutes, then died. Then i wasnt getting power to the pump anymore, so i changed the relay. Relay was then clicking like it should, but no pump. So i pulled the pump, it was working, when I'd jump the wires, but seemed like power wasn't going threw the sending unit, so we got a whole new sender unit and new pump. Now relay was clicking pump was coming on, getting fuel to the TBI, but no fuel coming out. So i went threw all that, new regulator, new pressure sensor, new used injectors, new gaskets, still no fuel. Checked the injector pulse, no pulse. Checked the injector wiring, all the connectors, wiring around everything, cleaned and tightened the ground on the thermostat, checked all the ground straps, checked the fuses, still nothing.
Now fast forward a few months, i now own it. I expect to put a battery in it and have it be exactly like it was... no..
Now i still dont have injector pulse, but now the relay doest come on, theres power to it, but not consistant, it changes. I wast getting power to the pump, then i was, then i wasn't, but it wouldnt come on at all. Checked the pump, its now dead, wont work at all. Changed pump to another one i had, no power. Jump the test port, still not working.
Bypassed all that, put in a 12volt external pump my buddy loaned me, hot wired directly off a battery, bypassing the truck entirely. Now i have fuel to the TBI again going up and coming back. Still no injector pulse, still wont run. Same thing as before, but now more things don't work

Im very very agrivated. Feels like im chasing my tail going in circles, fixing and bypassng, just to end up at the same place. Ready to burn it to the ground. Wish it had a carburetor ad mechanical pump.
Im so done with trying to fix this stupid POS.

Im very agrivated, can you tell?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I went threw the flow chart with the knowledge i had gained when working on it a few months ago. Got to a certain point and i had to go check more things. So i hooked a battery to it to re-check some things, and now everything has changed. So i went threw it again and now it telling me all sorts of other things are bad, that i know aren't because i replaced them.
Im going crazy chasing my tail with this thing. Everytime i mess with, something else stops working.

Power the pump, but pump wouldn't come on, so i replaced it. Ran for a few minutes, then died. Then i wasnt getting power to the pump anymore, so i changed the relay. Relay was then clicking like it should, but no pump. So i pulled the pump, it was working, when I'd jump the wires, but seemed like power wasn't going threw the sending unit, so we got a whole new sender unit and new pump. Now relay was clicking pump was coming on, getting fuel to the TBI, but no fuel coming out. So i went threw all that, new regulator, new pressure sensor, new used injectors, new gaskets, still no fuel. Checked the injector pulse, no pulse. Checked the injector wiring, all the connectors, wiring around everything, cleaned and tightened the ground on the thermostat, checked all the ground straps, checked the fuses, still nothing.
Now fast forward a few months, i now own it. I expect to put a battery in it and have it be exactly like it was... no..
Now i still dont have injector pulse, but now the relay doest come on, theres power to it, but not consistant, it changes. I wast getting power to the pump, then i was, then i wasn't, but it wouldnt come on at all. Checked the pump, its now dead, wont work at all. Changed pump to another one i had, no power. Jump the test port, still not working.
Bypassed all that, put in a 12volt external pump my buddy loaned me, hot wired directly off a battery, bypassing the truck entirely. Now i have fuel to the TBI again going up and coming back. Still no injector pulse, still wont run. Same thing as before, but now more things don't work

Im very very agrivated. Feels like im chasing my tail going in circles, fixing and bypassng, just to end up at the same place. Ready to burn it to the ground. Wish it had a carburetor ad mechanical pump.

i feel your pain. man. electrical issues can be frustrating. sounds like it is worth swapping the ECM to check. worst case you will have a spare and your out $150. but I'd be looking at the main wiring harness running across the firewall for issues (rub through that is shorting, etc) with the 440 circuit (orange wire) that goes to oil pressure switch, fuel pump relay, and powers the ECM. likely spots for rub through are the cruise control bracket and MAP sensor bracket. another potential issue i have seen folks have is bad/loose connections at the Ignition Control Module and/or coil. I remember a member here swapped his TBI to carb because of a similar issue. then found a loose pin on the module connector that was likely his issue the whole time. not sure if he ever got his carb set up going, I remember he had issues with that as well.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

your vehicle, your choices, but truly speaking if you were back in the early stages of enthusiast / working on your own stuff, and had to learn TBI or Carb stuff from a neutral stand point, you would very much like TBI. I understand your frustrations, and without seeing the condition of any of this underhood stuff, I cant sa ywhat I would do. but if I had wiring worse than my f150 , out of shear avoiding ghost/random issues and cut out the "rot" I would cut it out and go old school. But if I had a solid foundation and just needed some checks with step-by-step validation etc I would keep the TBI and troubleshoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paz4x4