Should i fix the TBI or go to carb? And what's this wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
So i stated from scratch so i could re-diagnose everything.
Now nothing is working. It cranks, but the fuel pump doesnt come on, the relay isnt clicking. They did work, i swear, it pisses me off.
I tested the relay, its working, but wont click in the truck. I used the tester wire and, somthing under the truck was clicking, but the pump won't come on.
I unplugged the fuel pump wires, hooked ground to ground and power to power, nothing happen. Test light light comes on, but no pump. Pump and sending unit are brand new. Going to pull them now, see if something is wrong.

Im really confused now.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
check ecmb fuse if it works if you use the 12v test wire off the fuel pump relay

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So i stated from scratch so i could re-diagnose everything.
Now nothing is working. It cranks, but the fuel pump doesnt come on, the relay isnt clicking. They did work, i swear, it pisses me off.
I tested the relay, its working, but wont click in the truck. I used the tester wire and, somthing under the truck was clicking, but the pump won't come on.
I unplugged the fuel pump wires, hooked ground to ground and power to power, nothing happen. Test light light comes on, but no pump. Pump and sending unit are brand new. Going to pull them now, see if something is wrong.

Im really confused now.
Ayden, other people have said it and so will I. Sounds like a dead or dieing PCM. Do check the fuse, but seriously with all you have gone though and now nothing is working suddenly and the PCM isn't kicking on the fuel pump relay now. I've worked on plenty of the TBI GM systems but have not owned one personally. I remember replacing PROMs in the ECM's back in the day as well. Using another manufacture as an example my 1992 Dakota I've had it since 2002 and put 3 ECMs in it over the years. Of course as you know your new fuel pump could be defective as well.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Ayden, other people have said it and so will I. Sounds like a dead or dieing PCM. Do check the fuse, but seriously with all you have gone though and now nothing is working suddenly and the PCM isn't kicking on the fuel pump relay now. I've worked on plenty of the TBI GM systems but have not owned one personally. I remember replacing PROMs in the ECM's back in the day as well. Using another manufacture as an example my 1992 Dakota I've had it since 2002 and put 3 ECMs in it over the years. Of course as you know your new fuel pump could be defective as well.
Dang, that stinks. Im not going to be able to fix that then.

So now what are my options?
What do i need to make a carb work?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't fp relay terminal 30 always be hot and #86 is the relay ground,grounded by ecm. So if #30 isn't hot,it's a power problem not an ecm.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
To make a carb work your going to need a bypass regulator,a manifold,a carb,and a distributor.

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
To make a carb work your going to need a bypass regulator,a manifold,a carb,and a distributor.
I have an intake, carb, and distributor that i had planned on using, but i found out a mechanical pump won't work, so that screwed me up.
I have no idea how to make a regulator and eletric pump work with a carb.

Where do i get a regulator, how do i hook it up, what type of pump do i need, inline intank... ?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Bypass regulator from summit ,stock intank fuel pump

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Dang, that stinks. Im not going to be able to fix that then.

So now what are my options?
What do i need to make a carb work?
Those ECM's are all plug and play no programing needed like with the newer cars. Prob take you 15 minutes to swap it out and cost $100 - $150.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
the power to ECM and power to fuel pump all goes through ECMB fuse. it is constant hot. it runs on an orange wire in the main harness along the firewall. it is prone to rubbing on the various brackets and if it shorts to ground it blows ECMB fuse and then the ECM and the fuel pump have no power. if the Check Engine light doesn't come on when you turn key to run, but it did before, there is an issue with ECMB

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have an intake, carb, and distributor that i had planned on using, but i found out a mechanical pump won't work, so that screwed me up.
I have no idea how to make a regulator and eletric pump work with a carb.

Where do i get a regulator, how do i hook it up, what type of pump do i need, inline intank... ?
The bypass regulator is fuel feed in from your old fuel line. Out to carburetor. Bypass line to your existing return. Does anybody know if a brass ball valve from the hardware store is fuel proof.?The way we used to do the bypass,was with a tee fitting. The straight though path is your in and out. The dogleg part of the tee is return and we used to make a brass restrictor for the return line to get the pressure we needed. I'm thinking a person could use a ball valve as the restrictor instead of a drilled piece of brass as a restrictor. We did this 40 years ago before all these cool parts were cheap and readily available.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The bypass regulator is fuel feed in from your old fuel line. Out to carburetor. Bypass line to your existing return. Does anybody know if a brass ball valve from the hardware store is fuel proof.?The way we used to do the bypass,was with a tee fitting. The straight though path is your in and out. The dogleg part of the tee is return and we used to make a brass restrictor for the return line to get the pressure we needed. I'm thinking a person could use a ball valve as the restrictor instead of a drilled piece of brass as a restrictor. We did this 40 years ago before all these cool parts were cheap and readily available.

That's a pretty creative way of doing it. I believe it's going to depend on the supplier of the ball valve for the hardware store. There are different grades of ball valves that are rated for different fluids, but some of them are just as expensive as a basic bypass regulator. A simple universal brass fuel shut-off valve aughta work just fine though.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
So would these 2 work together?
Is this what I'm needing then?
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Those little clickity clackity pumps don't normally need a regulator. However, the new pump you installed in the tank does. As long as it's not a bargain basement pump you installed, it should be much more reliable than the cheap inline pump. Also, I'm not sure how well that little pump can pull fuel through an inop in-tank pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD