Shifter on steering column lose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
Hi guys so my shifter on my steering column all of the sudden is lose idk what it is is it a spring or the pin idk should I take it in to a tech or ? Is this job easy to fix ?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hi guys so my shifter on my steering column all of the sudden is lose idk what it is is it a spring or the pin idk should I take it in to a tech or ? Is this job easy to fix ?

If you mean that the shift lever is loose and kind of flops back & forth, it is most likely a broken shift lever return spring. The spring is easy to find - and not very expensive (maybe $10). Search for GM part 7812853. Below is how to replace the spring. If you do this repair, don't skip the dental floss hint. I wish I had known about it when I replaced my spring - it would've saved me a ton of time and aggravation:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
The spring for the non-tilt is hard to find. I put the the tilt spring in mine and it works fine.

If you have a tilt column kindly disregard this message.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m with @WHEELMAN thats exactly what I’d do LOL
I hate going into those things

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sorry to revive an old thread, but by shifter spring has given up the ghost. I did see a YouTube video where somebody did this with the column off the truck, but obviously I’m not going to do that. Has anybody replaced one of these recently? And if there’s any tricks, please let me know. I see these pictures, they’ve clearly taken off the top part of the steering column, or at least the steering wheel.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Sorry to revive an old thread, but by shifter spring has given up the ghost. I did see a YouTube video where somebody did this with the column off the truck, but obviously I’m not going to do that. Has anybody replaced one of these recently? And if there’s any tricks, please let me know. I see these pictures, they’ve clearly taken off the top part of the steering column, or at least the steering wheel.

They mentioned that the upper portion of the column being removed is for illustration purposes, so no reason to panic.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man