ShadeTree Mechanics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Luckily I'm just 33 and can still do a lot of my own stuff without too many aches and pains. My dad, on the other hand, is about 100 lbs overweight with bad knees, shoulders and back and can barely get up off the floor let alone crawl under a vehicle or reach into an engine bay!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My problems started long before 33. I have my first back episode at 22yo. Had to quit carrying engine blocks and complete transmissions at that point. Still did commercial drywall though til I moved to OK, then moved Refrigeratos, Freezers, Washers, dryers, big screen, sofas and just about any household major item you can think of. And upstairs many times. By 30 I was on Workers Comp and just before turning 31 had my first back surgery and never been the same since.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
My problems started long before 33. I have my first back episode at 22yo. Had to quit carrying engine blocks and complete transmissions at that point. Still did commercial drywall though til I moved to OK, then moved Refrigeratos, Freezers, Washers, dryers, big screen, sofas and just about any household major item you can think of. And upstairs many times. By 30 I was on Workers Comp and just before turning 31 had my first back surgery and never been the same since.

I think I messed up back in summer of 1996 when I was carrying a 100-150 v2 briggs engine by myself at home. When I was I heard and felt something go pop in my lower back. My back never been right ever since.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
Luckily I'm just 33 and can still do a lot of my own stuff without too many aches and pains.

Kool... I'm the same way dude.. I'm 34.. and will turn some wrenches.. I'll go until dark if I have to

When I stuck in a tilt column, it was the first time i ever did something like that... had a blast.. got frustrated.. all of the above..LOL

Didn't stop till it was done.... till about 9 o'clock that nite...

Something gets in me... and I can't or won't stop

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dark used to never stop me and still doesn't if the weather is warm enough. About the only thing that stops me now is running out of Lortab, Ibuprofen and Tramadol. Then when I get all done, then I need the Soma, Lortab and Ibuprofen cuz I'm paying for not giving up, then at bedtime the Ambien boosts all that an knocks me out so I get to sleep for 3 hours.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Kool... I'm the same way dude.. I'm 34.. and will turn some wrenches.. I'll go until dark if I have to

When I stuck in a tilt column, it was the first time i ever did something like that... had a blast.. got frustrated.. all of the above..LOL

Didn't stop till it was done.... till about 9 o'clock that nite...

Something gets in me... and I can't or won't stop

:word: it drives my wife crazy cu she wants me to take a break and I just get focused and continue working :)

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Just got done changing the oil in the van...Won't get a Snap On ratchet out of it, but it's done right and to my standards.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think I change my oil differant than most, but I also don't take all day to do it. Not saying anyone does, but some might not like the way I change my oil, but I am satisfied with it.
Just curous how everyone else changes theirs. What steps to do you take etc???

PS If Cali Dude don't mind, this is sorta a Shade Tree Mechanic Question and still on topic wo hijacking his thread.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Jack it up

Set stands under vehicle

Ratchet for drain plug

Set drain pan underneath

Open Drain plug

Let drain for 30 min.

Replace drain plug

Remove filter

Pour 3/4 quart of oil in new filter

Install new filter

Remove stands, drain pan and let jack down

Pour in 1/2-3/4 quart ATF if engine is over 125,000 miles

Pour in oil

Start and run for 15 minutes

Drive around block

Check for leaks

Done.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Isn't there only one way to change oil? The only other way I know of, is to not change it.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Jack it up

Set stands under vehicle

Ratchet for drain plug

Set drain pan underneath

Open Drain plug

Let drain for 30 min.

Replace drain plug

Remove filter

Pour 3/4 quart of oil in new filter

Install new filter

Remove stands, drain pan and let jack down

Pour in 1/2-3/4 quart ATF if engine is over 125,000 miles

Pour in oil

Start and run for 15 minutes

Drive around block

Check for leaks

Done.

I can change the oil in the 90 2500 without jacking it up.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I'm not so lucky with a lowered minivan. :)

No need to jack up the blazer though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't jack it up either. I even changed the Yota Rolla and my moms Kia wo jacking up. That seems to me that you won't get all the oil out if you do that, so I got long arms and go for the reach.
On my trucks and the Yota when I had it. I took the drian pan, drainplug size wrench. Oil filter about 2/3 full of oil. The oil filter box from the new filter, oil filter bottom cap style socket with exentions and ratchet, (also how I was able to do it wo jacking up) and a lit cigarette. I lay down 1 time. Pull the plug. Let it drain lay there while I smoke my cig and pull the filter off. Let filter drain most of it out into the drainpan, then the old filter goes into the new filter box to not make a mess. Spin the new filter 2/3 full of oil back on, snug it if needed, snug drain plug, slide everything out from under the truck/car. Fill crankcase. Start motor, paying attention to Oil Pressure guage for about a minute. Check dipstick, drop hood. Old oil filter to trash, old oil to 5 gallan reclamation bucket with lid that I use to carry my old oil to Oreily's to dump or to a friend who has an oil burner car. Put tools away and done. Takes less than 15 minutes and I only get down under the vehcile 1 time, and I don't get back up until done. To many aches and pains to get up and down. So I get it all ahead of time. Also, notice, I do not wipre the old oil away from the oil filter surface. But I also do not oil the new gasket ring. What is left up there and not wiped off, is my oil filter lube. That old oil will lube the O ring, and will not get into the new oil. Its just a step I save. Most will wipe the old oil off and dab new oil on the seal.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Now do you guys open the fill cap and pull out the dipstick out partically so the oil drains faster?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71