ShadeTree Mechanics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
Is it just me, or doesn't it feel good when you can work on your own square... and get stuff done...

Just thought I'd put that out there...LOL
Changed oil, rotated tires, and had to adjust the carb some (my q-jet is a sensitive old gal).... but regardless she runs like no ones business

These are my most relaxing days :happy107:

Attachments

• 101_0119.jpg
    101_0119.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 155

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I do enjoy working on my own vehicles . At times it can get frustrating but overall it's very rewarding!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Being your own mechanic is the only way owning an older vehicle can be economical, generally speaking. A lot of shops will charge more to work on an older truck just because it's old and they don't want to mess with it.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
The previous owner of my old 1994 Cutlass convertible couldn't find a mechanic until I came along...No one would touch the 3.4 DOHC.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Yea, I had shade tree mechanic tell me how to put a timing cam sprocket on. The way he was telling me was backwards. Then he tried to say reverse was out on my 90 but he didnt know to shift in reverse. He kept going in 3rd instead.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Nothing beats it! I take alot of pride in my work, even when I completely screw something up, still worth it.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
I do enjoy working on my own vehicles . At times it can get frustrating but overall it's very rewarding!

Oh don't I know it!! I've been chasing a down a vacuum leak, or something for a while... replaced just about every darn hose... I have this little shake at idle... I can't seem to get it to smooth out... just enough to irritate me... Those M4ME Q-Jets are somethin else man....

Being your own mechanic is the only way owning an older vehicle can be economical, generally speaking. A lot of shops will charge more to work on an older truck just because it's old and they don't want to mess with it.

You would think they would want to work on the older stuff.... they're alot more straight forward and easier to work on IMO

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size

Because with computers to point out what is wrong, mechanics have become lazy.

They don't like to have to track down problems anymore and with flat rate ********, they get ripped off.

I like a good brain twister car problem. Keep the old bean in order.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
You would think they would want to work on the older stuff.... they're alot more straight forward and easier to work on IMO

I think that a lot of mechanics these days would rather just plug the car into a computer and let it spit out the issue rather than actually troubleshooting the problem.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Because with computers to point out what is wrong, mechanics have become lazy.

They don't like to have to track down problems anymore and with flat rate ********, they get ripped off.

I like a good brain twister car problem. Keep the old bean in order.

I see great minds think a like:lol:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
The previous owner of my old 1994 Cutlass convertible couldn't find a mechanic until I came along...No one would touch the 3.4 DOHC.

my ex had a 96 hardtop when we first got together. stupid bitch sold it for $500 after she got pregnant, and bought a 2000 Buick. god i wish i had known that at the time, i'd still be driving that car.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I do what I can but my go-to guy is a mechainc I went to high school with. He doesn't mind working on my '89 because he has a '91 Suburban.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I like working on my own stuff because I know its done right. I don't skimp or cut corners, and am usually thorough, where I think mechanics just throw crap together as fast as they can to get onto the next job, especially if they are paid by flat rate instead of hourly. When I was 20, I worked at a Firestone as tire changer and lube tech. I seen some of the stuff other techs did to make money.
I'll never forget the day, an alignment tech said, hey come here, let me show you how to make some money. You see this idler arm? Its common these are bad. Flat rate pays 1 hour to change it, but it only takes 10 minutes when you have the right tools, so here's what you do. The tech took an air hammer pickle fork, and with it bolted in place, he air hammered the joint and trashed a perfectly good Idler arm. Then he goes out in the lobby and gets the owner and brings her into the shop and shows her the damaged idler arm. The lady was scared shitless when she seen the slop it put in the steering. She asked how much it cost to be replaced, and started crying because she didn't have the money to get it fixed and refused to drive it that way since the tech scared the hell out of her telling her she could lose her steering on the highway. She told him to go ahead and fix it, but didin't pick up the car for 4 days since she had to wait til payday to come up with the $80 to cover the bill. The tech admitted he picked the wrong person to F over that day and said he looked at the invoice and it was a credit card customer, but didn't know the card was maxed with the 2 tires and alignment she originally came in for.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I like working on my own stuff because I know its done right. I don't skimp or cut corners, and am usually thorough, where I think mechanics just throw crap together as fast as they can to get onto the next job, especially if they are paid by flat rate instead of hourly. When I was 20, I worked at a Firestone as tire changer and lube tech. I seen some of the stuff other techs did to make money.
I'll never forget the day, an alignment tech said, hey come here, let me show you how to make some money. You see this idler arm? Its common these are bad. Flat rate pays 1 hour to change it, but it only takes 10 minutes when you have the right tools, so here's what you do. The tech took an air hammer pickle fork, and with it bolted in place, he air hammered the joint and trashed a perfectly good Idler arm. Then he goes out in the lobby and gets the owner and brings her into the shop and shows her the damaged idler arm. The lady was scared shitless when she seen the slop it put in the steering. She asked how much it cost to be replaced, and started crying because she didn't have the money to get it fixed and refused to drive it that way since the tech scared the hell out of her telling her she could lose her steering on the highway. She told him to go ahead and fix it, but didin't pick up the car for 4 days since she had to wait til payday to come up with the $80 to cover the bill. The tech admitted he picked the wrong person to F over that day and said he looked at the invoice and it was a credit card customer, but didn't know the card was maxed with the 2 tires and alignment she originally came in for.
That **** is phuked up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns