Sad Discovery: GM 10 Bolt Fails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Oooofffff

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
What happened?
Just finally getting around to changing the gear oil after purchasing it a year and a half ago and addressing other stuff that needed attention. PO abused the rig. In hindsight, should’ve looked at the differentials earlier after seeing that absolutely everything on the brake system needed to be replaced. If the PO neglected the main safety features of the rig, other major issues were likely ignored as well.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
If it was your truck what would you do?
Look for another 10 bolt axle and check under the cover to ensure gears look decent? Search for something more durable? If so, what? Spend lots more for replacement parts installed?
Let me know why you would choose that choice too.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
If it was your truck what would you do?
Look for another 10 bolt axle and check under the cover to ensure gears look decent? Search for something more durable? If so, what? Spend lots more for replacement parts installed?
Let me know why you would choose that choice too.

I'd take that apart. Clean it thoroughly and inspect the components. If the ring and pinion are okay, bonus if the bearings survived, I'd just replace the spider gears and put it back together. Doesn't really require special tools other than checking preload and backlash and even those aren't that outrageous. A lot of auto parts stores will rent tools if you don't have them.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Agree with @Blue Ox. You will want to check the backlash before disassembly so it can be put back to the same if reusing the ring and pinion to match the wear pattern.
A mag base and dial indicator is relatively inexpensive and will be a handy tool to have in the box down the road.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Thanks @Blue Ox and @Buck69 , I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. I have had three different friends give me three different pieces of advice so far. I would like this rear end to last a while Longer in the future and whatever work I do will hopefully help that possibility.
I don’t plan to wheel this truck super hard, but I do like the idea of added durability for whatever comes my way. As with everything else when he doesn’t grow on trees, and we have a pretty tight budget around the farm here at the moment.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Agree with @Blue Ox. You will want to check the backlash before disassembly so it can be put back to the same if reusing the ring and pinion to match the wear pattern.
A mag base and dial indicator is relatively inexpensive and will be a handy tool to have in the box down the road.
He won't even need to do that, put the same shims back in,same positions.Same carrier same ring and pinion same housing,backlash won't change.
And I've felt the tight budget thing before, if you replace the spiders and nothing else has major damage,a diff will howl at you for a long time if things aren't right,for a long time before leaving you stranded. Replace the obvious and don't stress.

Last edited:

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Lol looks like a Sea urchin.

You must be registered for see images attach
That’s exactly what I said as soon as I took the cover off.
EDIT: I actually said a metal sea anemone.

Last edited:

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
He won't even need to do that, put the same shims back in,same positions.Same carrier same ring and pinion same housing,backlash won't change.
And I've felt the tight budget thing before, if you replace the spiders and nothing else has major damage,a diff will howl at you for a long time if things aren't right,for a long time before leaving you stranded. Replace the obvious and don't stress.
Hmm. It's probably been 30 years since I have been into an auto diff and only kind of remember playing with side shims. I do remember struggling with getting the crush sleeve to start to crush though.
Every diff since, including the one I am currently building for a 45T Volvo rock truck, have big nuts under the caps for adjusting carrier bearing preload and setting the backlash. My bad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard