10 bolt vs 12 bolt G80’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I have heard many horror stories of the 10 bolt G80 “Gov-bomb” problems. Is the 12 bolt G80 any better?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 21 GMC AT4 has the G80 in it. You'd think if it was such a bad design GM wouldn't still be using it 40 years later. If you understand how it works and use it like a normal human it works great. I love mine, I use it a lot in the sand. What kills them is excessive wheel speed and suddenly grabbing traction. So if you start a burnout on the shoulder of the road its gonna grenade the instant it hits asphalt.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Agreed with Mike ^ They're fine for 99% of their use. The only one I ever hurt was the one in my '05 Z71 that I had in college. Dogged that truck everywhere I went, it had HEAVY 33s on it and was offroad alot being slung sideways or buried. Eventually, the Gov-bomb would start randomly ratcheting while turning, I knew it was near the end. But it took ~75k miles of abuse like that without grenading. I traded the truck in when the trans started to slip and a now buddy ended up with it (I didn't know him then). He drove it for another several years and ~100k miles with no issue and it still had the original rear end as far as he knew. They may have rebuilt it but idk.

Point is, for a normal use truck, they're fine in either 10 or 12-bolt form. If you're going to beat on it, upgrade to a Detroit Trutrac or other aftermarket diff

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
For whatever reason, they tend to hold up in every axle, except for the older 8.5 and 9.5 (like, pre-'99 ish... for the most part) axles. Now I realize that GM sold literally millions of those axles, so there’s bound to be a lot of failures, but I've seen them fail in SUVs being driven normally on the street, by soccer moms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod