running boards, nerf bars, step bars !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks Shorty! Glad to be here, and I really enjoy mine just like Chevrolet built it since it only has 55k miles on it....can’t mess with it too much lol. It’s ready for tires soon so the struggle of choosing between 275 60’s and 255 70’s is strong right now, also can’t decide on white letters in or out?!
White letters out!! Truck is gorgeous.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know this is an old thread, but I have a set of running boards in great shape off my 1977 if anyone is interested
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm interested. PM me price and shipping to 65264. Thank you.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
I ended up taking the running boards off of my 81 C10 my ground clearance on a concrete floor was 8” .... too low And IMO the truck looks better with them off

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have nerf bars on my k5. They mount to the frame.

swilson143

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
6.0L LQ4
Nfab doesn't stock them, but they're available for squarebodies. They're just made to order after you've made the purchase. Very happy with mine.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
so which brand of step does everyone recommend?? gonna need something for my 87 GMC. 4inch lift and I ain't getting any younger LOL!! I am thinking of just a hoop type step under the door. It had nerf bars on it when I got it but those are long gone. Kinda worried about attaching at the rocker panel but not much else t attach to. Any ideas??

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
so which brand of step does everyone recommend?? gonna need something for my 87 GMC. 4inch lift and I ain't getting any younger LOL!! I am thinking of just a hoop type step under the door. It had nerf bars on it when I got it but those are long gone. Kinda worried about attaching at the rocker panel but not much else t attach to. Any ideas??
I think we all have different likes and dislikes, so there won't be a one size fits all answer to this. I do not like the nerf bar type. The reason being is it is to easy for your foot to slip off, others may disagree with that statement, but I've had a couple nasty slips getting into customer trucks with those things.

I like old fashion running boards because there is more room for me to put my feet while trying to maneuver my body into a truck.

Now what I have are the cheap steps. Here's a decent picture of what I'm talking about.

I put those on because I needed something affordable and quick, back when I first got the truck. The are ok. Installation is simple, but it took a little bit (when getting into drive) to get down how to put my left foot on the step and swing my body in without twisting my knee, which is easer for me than most due to bad joints.

Anyhow now that I'm use to them I'd do the steps again, but one day would like a set of old school running boards.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hoop steps work well

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_103628.jpg
    IMG_20200609_103628.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 51

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks Shorty! Glad to be here, and I really enjoy mine just like Chevrolet built it since it only has 55k miles on it....can’t mess with it too much lol. It’s ready for tires soon so the struggle of choosing between 275 60’s and 255 70’s is strong right now, also can’t decide on white letters in or out?!
OUT!

Out out out!

ALWAYS OUT!

lol

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Just finishing installing a set of Aries stainless step bars on my Suburban.
Front mount is on the front body mount. Rear mount is via the front hanger of the rear spring.

The good part is they look and function great when they're finally installed.
Do you have pictures of them installed? I might want to do some on my 'Burb assuming they look good. I'm ageing very fast and it's a pain (literally) to hop in and out of the truck, and now that I'm putting the truck back on the road my daughter is gonna want to ride with me a lot so the step should make it easier for her to get in and out.

I had factory running boards but they rattled like hell and looked pretty bad so I ditched them. Technically I still have them but I've been using them as ramps to get stuff in and out of the back of my truck so they're shot now lol. Strangely enough, my rockers were perfect the whole time I had the running boards, but once I took them off it was like 2 or 3 years and the outer rockers completely fell apart (which is extra weird because my driveway is paved). Long story short, I like the sound of how those ones mount, once I put new rockers on and paint it I would love to have some nice looking running boards that are also sturdy.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Do you have pictures of them installed? I might want to do some on my 'Burb assuming they look good. I'm ageing very fast and it's a pain (literally) to hop in and out of the truck, and now that I'm putting the truck back on the road my daughter is gonna want to ride with me a lot so the step should make it easier for her to get in and out.

I had factory running boards but they rattled like hell and looked pretty bad so I ditched them. Technically I still have them but I've been using them as ramps to get stuff in and out of the back of my truck so they're shot now lol. Strangely enough, my rockers were perfect the whole time I had the running boards, but once I took them off it was like 2 or 3 years and the outer rockers completely fell apart (which is extra weird because my driveway is paved). Long story short, I like the sound of how those ones mount, once I put new rockers on and paint it I would love to have some nice looking running boards that are also sturdy.
It's all right here in thia this thread. I like ' em.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think we all have different likes and dislikes, so there won't be a one size fits all answer to this. I do not like the nerf bar type. The reason being is it is to easy for your foot to slip off, others may disagree with that statement, but I've had a couple nasty slips getting into customer trucks with those things.

I like old fashion running boards because there is more room for me to put my feet while trying to maneuver my body into a truck.

Now what I have are the cheap steps. Here's a decent picture of what I'm talking about.

I put those on because I needed something affordable and quick, back when I first got the truck. The are ok. Installation is simple, but it took a little bit (when getting into drive) to get down how to put my left foot on the step and swing my body in without twisting my knee, which is easer for me than most due to bad joints.

Anyhow now that I'm use to them I'd do the steps again, but one day would like a set of old school running boards.
too bad the shipping would be insane but I have 2 sets of aluminum , maybe it was 3, running boards
One or two is continental , the other is diamond plate I assume home made or just had a sticker but no longer

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
too bad the shipping would be insane but I have 2 sets of aluminum , maybe it was 3, running boards
One or two is continental , the other is diamond plate I assume home made or just had a sticker but no longer
I remember you sent me some pics IDK maybe a year or more. Ya, shipping is not going to work across the county anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcmrose