running boards, nerf bars, step bars !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I had running boards on a previous truck. I never really liked them but they were a gift from my folks, so I felt obligated to put them on. I like the loops that were posted by MisterB.
You must be registered for see images attach
My truck came with running boards and they were gunna be the first thing to go but after many engine and trans changes they came in very handy! Holding tools and beer plus something to grab to slide myself out from under. Also like them to stand on while looking under the hood and cranking the engine over. Downside.... they rot rockers super fast!

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
The solid aluminum steps I installed on my 77 K30 were super strong and fit well.
I bought them at an RV Sales and Service back in the day.
Never seen a set like them since.
Bought running boards for the 79 K30. through the 88 V30.
Running cab length tubes on my Duramax trucks.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm going to preface this by saying I haven't read though all of the post, but I want to say, I have a set like @MisterB has. The biggest problem in my opinion is that you can obviously only have one foot on it, and it's fixed so you better get it where you want it on the first try. Then you must pivot your body into the truck with one foot on a step to small to actually pivot your foot on. For someone with foot and nerve issues, this combined with a grab bar on the A pillar is better than nothing, but not the best. I'd really like an old fashion set of running boards like @AuroraGirl has on her truck, but no one makes them for these trucks anymore, and having a used set shipped is spendy.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
I'm going to preface this by saying I haven't read though all of the post, but I want to say, I have a set like @MisterB has. The biggest problem in my opinion is that you can obviously only have one foot on it, and it's fixed so you better get it where you want it on the first try. Then you must pivot your body into the truck with one foot on a step to small to actually pivot your foot on. For someone with foot and nerve issues, this combined with a grab bar on the A pillar is better than nothing, but not the best. I'd really like an old fashion set of running boards like @AuroraGirl has on her truck, but no one makes them for these trucks anymore, and having a used set shipped is spendy.
The key to getting up in with these, is on the driver side, you step up with your left foot and hold on to the windshield frame, as you step your right foot on to the floorboard. It seems backwards, and like it wouldn't work, but it does. If you step up with your right foot on the step, good luck. I don't have any physical limitations, but I do have a 6" lift and 35" tires, and this works for me.

To get in the passenger side, you reverse it and put your right foot on the step.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

There’s about 5 sets of old school looking running boards on Craigslist right now if a guy wants a set. They’re not exactly custom fit anyways. I’m sure they could be rigged up with some basic fab work.
But I don’t like those Running boards. Wish I’d saved all the sets I took off and tossed, now apparently. Heck I junked a set off a 94 Chevy I fixed up and flipped just a few years ago.
I’d go with the aluminum hoops personally or considering a set of N Fab type rock sliders/steps.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
There’s about 5 sets of old school looking running boards on Craigslist right now if a guy wants a set. They’re not exactly custom fit anyways. I’m sure they could be rigged up with some basic fab work.
But I don’t like those Running boards. Wish I’d saved all the sets I took off and tossed. I’d go with the aluminum hoops personally or considering a set of N Fab type rock sliders/steps.
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't check craigslist in while.... I'll go to that now.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't check craigslist in while.... I'll go to that now.
Idk Exactly where they were as I search a couple hundred mile radius typically.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Idk Exactly where they were as I search a couple hundred mile radius typically.
Nothing really local, coming up that I'm liking at the moment, but it's a good reminder to keep an eye out, I'm sure a set will come my way one of these days, in the mean time I've got the steps.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i know you guys are far away but the bracket for the running boards and how similar they were, im wondering if they werent a very popular accessory that more or less followed a single style made by other companies, and being that trucks were proportioned very similar during this time and the previous 15 years or so even, you could make a couple different boards by as many companies as you can count with every truck being covered.

For example, my set say continental some number series on them. Im guessing it was a common dealer-accessory that you would never find on a SPID label but maybe was in brochures or heritage center stuff, but assuredly could be found at the time in most dealers? Or maybe it was on those idk, but Im guessing most were early life of truck or dealer and the ones that are older personally installed we know of are big catalog companies who still are around and have legacy support or references.

Either way, i think it is a consistent thing like dealer only because my extra cab has brackets that match my truck, so i think they were pretty common or maybe stock kinda thing. In terms of using similar or same hardware at least.

Mine are coming off though. Not functionally anymore and I learned how to enter by alternative means so i wouldnt need it anyway. Passenger side is strange i could use it normally. Weird.

C30frenchriviera

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have seen the hoop steps, but I don't want to put holes in my rockers for them. Looking for something that mounts to frame, or body mounts.
Me too
So what did you mount ?

87notcher

Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne
Engine Size
I know this is an old thread, but I have a set of running boards in great shape off my 1977 if anyone is interested

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I know this is an old thread, but I have a set of running boards in great shape off my 1977 if anyone is interested
Welcome. Nice to see a C10 not Lowered.

87notcher

Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne
Engine Size
Welcome. Nice to see a C10 not Lowered.
Thanks Shorty! Glad to be here, and I really enjoy mine just like Chevrolet built it since it only has 55k miles on it....can’t mess with it too much lol. It’s ready for tires soon so the struggle of choosing between 275 60’s and 255 70’s is strong right now, also can’t decide on white letters in or out?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL