Rough Country?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The ride is known to be stiff, but the price is hard to beat. I don't know anyone that's installed that kit recently, they could be softer now.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
My question Is why the heck do the cheaper kits tend to be stiff? It seems if a manufacturer made a proper lift with a soft spring rate it would require less raw materials....

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
had the exact same lift, got it cheaper from jcwhitney, been a few years and it was ROUGH.

very stiff ride.

good lift, came with brake line and parking brake cable drops ad such, raised steering arm, ours had new shocks and bots, had new u bolts front and rear, cast iron rear blocks, only down side was our sway bar wouldn't line up right, we boght the sway bar drop brackets and it was still a huge pain.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I'm with Swims on this one. I ended up replacing the front springs and all 4 shocks with another brand so my bargain priced kit ended up being an expensive steering arm and rear blocks.

I pm'd RC a while back since they're a preferred vendor here and explained my reasons for throwing their kit in the recycle bin and suggested they offer a softer spring. They never responded.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm with Swims on this one. I ended up replacing the front springs and all 4 shocks with another brand so my bargain priced kit ended up being an expensive steering arm and rear blocks.

I pm'd RC a while back since they're a preferred vendor here and explained my reasons for throwing their kit in the recycle bin and suggested they offer a softer spring. They never responded.

I don't know why they haven't softened them up all. I'm sure they've been getting countless complaints over the years.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
there was an online spring rate comparison between lift springs and they wee the highest.

I would suggest tuff country, they have e-z ride front springs and the kit looks to have most of the same stuff and was around the same price thru jcwhitney at the time.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
there was an online spring rate comparison between lift springs and they wee the highest.

I would suggest tuff country, they have e-z ride front springs and the kit looks to have most of the same stuff and was around the same price thru jcwhitney at the time.

i personally was disappointed with my tuff country add a leaf kit. the centering pin was basically made of crap and stripped with no effort at all. i had to grind down the head of a grade 8 bolt and that worked nicely. but seriously it would cost them what, a quarter to include a grade 8 centering pin? the leaves themselves were great but this leads me to think that they might cut corners elsewhere....

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I've heard the same for rough country add a leafs.

1986K30

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
7.4L
The leaf spring center pins are often a very light grade bolt. They are only supposed to be used to hold the packs together. Any torque will strip the with ease. Very common misnomer...

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
The leaf spring center pins are often a very light grade bolt. They are only supposed to be used to hold the packs together. Any torque will strip the with ease. Very common misnomer...

i couldnt even torque it to their specification of 16-30 ftlbs (i forget which) before it stripped. i knew it was probably cheap so i was careful to do what they said but really? thats pathetically weak and i wouldnt want it to hold my pack together.

1986K30

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
7.4L
You mentioned replacing with a grade 8 bolt so that usually cues the reply given. Bummer to hear about your problem. I have never personally tried their springs but have a pair enroute as we speak. They will be going on the back of my one ton so stiff is good? hehe stiff is good....

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
You mentioned replacing with a grade 8 bolt so that usually cues the reply given. Bummer to hear about your problem. I have never personally tried their springs but have a pair enroute as we speak. They will be going on the back of my one ton so stiff is good? hehe stiff is good....

fair enough

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
We all have our own opinions, and i know that when we get older we want a more soft/cushioned ride. But right now in my teen years, i actually like the Stiff ride springs ALOT more.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
We all have our own opinions, and i know that when we get older we want a more soft/cushioned ride. But right now in my teen years, i actually like the Stiff ride springs ALOT more.

why is that? id still prefer a comfortable ride

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones