Rough country trash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
I've heard a lot of trash talked about rough country, but when I first entered the truck world I though they were the best. My plan was to get the 6 inch rough country lift for my K10 with the 56 in rear springs. I'm planning on doing quite a bit of offroading in this truck and am wondering if it would be a bad or good idea to get that kit. If bad, any alternate suggestions? I would like to spend under a grand on the kit.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They sell decent quality stuff for the money, but the springs do tend to ride fairly rough. Rougher than stock springs.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
^^This.

A lot of people talk crap on RC because of this. But me personally I don't mind a stiff ride, actually kind of prefer it, feels more stable on the road to me.

Sure there are definitely better kits you can buy, but for a whole lot more money. Considering how reasonably priced they are, it's a great bang for the buck. They're not trash at all, just not the best. I'm plenty happy with mine!

86454k30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
CHEVROLET
Engine Size
Not only do we sell it at work but I have ran it on a few trucks. IMO they get a bad rap. Are they the best riding kit on the market....nope....but, I'd put them inline with older kits like Rancho and such. If I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my truck again. In fact we have a 2" on my sons 87 V10.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
ORD (Alcan) or Deaver are reputed as the best riding leaves you can get, but not for under a grand. I’m putting the ORD custom leaves and a couple other ride improving parts on from my 5/4ton leaves, so my hopes are high.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I had 4" Rough Country front lift springs on my old '78 K10. They did ride very rough, but I didn't have much money 20+ years ago and I was a lot younger...

I'm all about a smoother ride now and some articulation if you are going to do off roading.

I'd recommend the Tuff Country EZ ride front springs. $403 at ORD... might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

And with a lift that tall, get rid of the front sway bar for the best ride. The stock swaybar has too much of an angle on it with a lift like that and actually binds up for a rough ride. Or for extra $$ can get a sway bar disconnect. Can always be added later if for some reason you decide you need and miss the swaybar.

Tuff Country EZ ride springs $403
ORD longer greasable front HD shackles $111
Ubolts $45
Longer brake lines $?
Shocks $100-$200

That would give you a nice front suspension.

You said you wanted around a $1,000 kit... could do the front with nice components and then do the rear "cheaply" for now and then re-do it a few years from now. A 6" block is not ideal, but is really cheap for now.

Rear has options based on if you need to still haul some weight time to time (load carrying capacity) A shackle flip is nice...

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
6 inch RC on my 88 suburban but I think it rides just fine. Front end has duals and it feels a bit stiff but I always know my tires are planted. And there's always been something about being able to look out over that square flat Hood on an old school Chevy with a stiff lift and have no lean in the corners. I don't know... Call me crazy.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
rough riding ********!
If you want rough ride than ride in a Marmon - Herrington Chevy C60 conversion then you can tell me about it.

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
Thanks for all the advice guys. Based on that I think I'll go with the rough country 6 inch. I'm used to driving trucks with stiff suspension so I won't mind.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I thought Ruff Country was what ya want..E-Z ride baby, yeah!
That’s Tough Country.
OP, if you want off road suspension, then understand you don’t want bricks for springs. Economical? Yes. Best for off road? No.
But they work. Front of our 86 must have RC springs because it feels like the back springs on a 1 ton.

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
That’s Tough Country.
OP, if you want off road suspension, then understand you don’t want bricks for springs. Economical? Yes. Best for off road? No.
But they work. Front of our 86 must have RC springs because it feels like the back springs on a 1 ton.
My 87 V20 is like that with the 4" Rancho springs in the front and blocks in the back. Quad shocks up front don't help the ride either. Back in 1990 when I installed it the ride didn't seem to be so harsh. I must be getting old [emoji846].

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Rough country, hence the name.

Big red square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had 4" Rough Country front lift springs on my old '78 K10. They did ride very rough, but I didn't have much money 20+ years ago and I was a lot younger...

I'm all about a smoother ride now and some articulation if you are going to do off roading.

I'd recommend the Tuff Country EZ ride front springs. $403 at ORD... might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

And with a lift that tall, get rid of the front sway bar for the best ride. The stock swaybar has too much of an angle on it with a lift like that and actually binds up for a rough ride. Or for extra $$ can get a sway bar disconnect. Can always be added later if for some reason you decide you need and miss the swaybar.

Tuff Country EZ ride springs $403
ORD longer greasable front HD shackles $111
Ubolts $45
Longer brake lines $?
Shocks $100-$200

That would give you a nice front suspension.

You said you wanted around a $1,000 kit... could do the front with nice components and then do the rear "cheaply" for now and then re-do it a few years from now. A 6" block is not ideal, but is really cheap for now.

Rear has options based on if you need to still haul some weight time to time (load carrying capacity) A shackle flip is nice...
I have the bolts out of the sway bar on the axle side it's ok to leave like that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg