Retro's 1989 GMC Sierra C1500 Sportside Indy clone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Sounds good, a lot quieter than i remember.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Hot Rod night at Top Notch Hamburgers. There was another TPI truck there as well, an early 50s Chevy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN3939.jpg
    DSCN3939.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN3940.jpg
    DSCN3940.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 164

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Looks good :waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Cool Retro!! :)

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Cool

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Glad to see you out enjoying it!

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Loving it so far, still a few bugs to work out. The TV cable seems to be bad, when cold, it shifts to 2nd at about 40 MPH and when hot, it shifts at 20-25 MPH at light throttle. Ordered a new GM cable.

Also intermittently bogs down and threatens to die on acceleration no matter if it's warm or cold. Some times it goes like a rocket and some times it falls on its face. All 9 injectors are in spec; IAC is fairly new (I replaced it on the TBI and switched it out with the TPI solenoid) and done a reset; TPS is adjusted correctly; no vacuum leaks to speak of; fuel pressure is 35-40 running which is good according to thirdgen; vacuum gauge flutters a tiny bit but within spec, compression is good on all 8; new spark plugs, somewhat new wires that all match (had 2 different brands of wires when Viktor had it); cap and rotor are newer as well. Not sure what is next. Idles quite well though.

No check engine light either, I unplugged things to make sure it worked and check the timing.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Double check the intake tubing as it was wrapped with electrical tape at one joint before. I had to replace some spark plug wires on it, never had it long enough to put one new set on. I had somewhat new spark plug wires fail before, it is worth double checking as it does not look like they are tied off very well. I can also send you out another relatively new iac if you want to try another one. And tps as well.

The valve it self in the transmission might be sticking after a fluid flush if new cable does not help.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is there an EGR setup on this?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Is there an EGR setup on this?

Yes, it's functioning correctly.

Double check the intake tubing as it was wrapped with electrical tape at one joint before. I had to replace some spark plug wires on it, never had it long enough to put one new set on. I had somewhat new spark plug wires fail before, it is worth double checking as it does not look like they are tied off very well. I can also send you out another relatively new iac if you want to try another one. And tps as well.

The valve it self in the transmission might be sticking after a fluid flush if new cable does not help.

I can't find anything wrong with the intake tubing, it all seems tight from the MAF back and from the air box to the MAF. I probably need to get a new set of wires, these were too long to begin with, not sure what they gave me but it wasn't for a 350, I put them on just after I got the newer TBI engine in.

Do you want the F-body 700r4 tailshaft? I meant to give it to you when you were in town, but it slipped my mind.

I cleaned and reinstalled the old IAC, still no change. I replaced the TB to plenum gasket and it idles better but still chugs and pops through the intake in gear. Checked the timing, it's okay. It won't run well enough with the IAC unplugged to do a reset. Now it also takes a bit of cranking to start and keep on the gas to run for a few seconds then it idles okay... Getting frustrated.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Of course it does help if I plug ALL the vacuum lines back in...Left off the one on the TB and it's too rainy to take it out, but in the driveway it seems to run a LOT better now...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:grd: Hopefully the missed vac line is it. Fingers Crossed !!!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I was trying to go through things that could have changed from last time i had it running. Good find on the vacuum hose. I am assuming you are using all new vacuum hoses? Most of them were starting to crack. Thanks on the tail shaft offer, but i do not have a use for one.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Nope, every bit as bad as it was earlier. Barely made it around the block, it's popping out the intake and when I floor it, it bogs way down and won't go over 2500-3000 RPMs.

Yes, I replaced all the vacuum hoses.

I'm wondering if the harmonic balancer is going bad and maybe the timing mark has moved. Acts a little like the timing is way retarded. I installed a new chain and sprockets when the engine was on the stand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare