Replacing "idiot" lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Retro Rich

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
So...wanting to change out from my stock "idiot" lights. Thinking about just getting some stock "real" gauges aftermarket (from LMC, something like that...the factory ones for oil pressure, voltmeter, temp) and replacing into stock positions. If I get this type, will they basically "plug and play" in place of those idiot lights with the same circuit board, or will I have to change more than just that out (such as sensors, leads, etc)? Never torn into a bezel before that much, so wondering if anyone has experience with that.

I really like the aftermarket mods with the stock cluster/bezel I have seen with some of the Equus and Sunpro gauges, but don't want to get in that far if I don't have to and would like to keep the factory look if possible.

Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just 2 parts other than the actual indicators and some wiring supplies.

For coolant temp gauge:

You must be registered for see images attach

And for (a 60 psi) oil pressure gauge:

Both about $12 at Rockauto - or any parts store really.

Do not try to run your gauges through the printed circuit board on the back of the cluster. Just supply each gauge with a 12 volt hot wire, a straight shot to the ground bus block and of course, the lead that runs out to the senders.

The voltmeter will only require a hot wire and a ground.

When you have gathered all your parts and have the gauges installed in the cluster, come back and someone will step you through the wiring.

If you want to familiarize yourself before you start here is a schematic for these gauges (it shows a coolant temp indicator but oil pressure is exactly the same). Also includes some notes on how the operate:

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Great info chengny.

89Suburban

Supporting Member