Rebuilt 5.7 TBI shopping talk...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Where is the best deal on a rebuilt motor? My mechanic said to stay away from Jasper motors. Anybody here done any reasearch or have any input? Just figuring my options. Buy local or online? That would involve truck frieght I imagine. What about engine core chrages? Help?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Jasper is junk in GM products. Crate is good in GM products. Jasper is good in fords though. Get a crate vortec block and re use all the external parts.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Vortec will bolt up to my truck? :think:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Or you could find a TBI truck with a bad trans and good engine, that way you can hear it running.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Or you could find a TBI truck with a bad trans and good engine, that way you can hear it running.
That Blazer I almost bought at the scrapyard, he wants $600 for that motor.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I would find one local unless you got the coin to drop for a new one.

My old man hates jasper too. he got a trans from them, and was going to get a 455hd or whatever it is for his trans am. he got the trans and it sucked, he said he wanted it built and to be right, and it was basically stock, called tech support, guy told him to take a rod out and cut it off 1/4 at a time to get what he wanted, dad said time he was done it would shift into 3rd before he got out of the garage, so he said I'm sending it back. Guy said you can't you modified it, dad replied to the guy with you told me to do it, guy said nope can't return. Dad laughed and said I'll stop the PO on it. So then the guy was like oh, ok then send it back.

what about getting a short block? have the heads redone local, or yourself they are pretty easy except for the valve job.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I guess I'll just go with a local used one and keep this motor for a rebuild project. I bought a 4.3 rebuilt motor from Pep Boys for my old Carpice and it had a oil galley plug missing, so I had to pull it back out and exchange it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Vortec is not a direct swap, you need a special intake manifold that will bolt to the heads. You also need additional parts and some exhaust modifications to keep a functioning EGR valve.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Vortec is not a direct swap, you need a special intake manifold that will bolt to the heads. You also need additional parts and some exhaust modifications to keep a functioning EGR valve.

Not if he reuses the external engine parts it is. Meaning vortec block with TBI setup. I have that in a 90 c2500.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
GM crate engines are the way to go, otherwise have yours rebuilt or keep an eye out for a good used one. I recently bought a 90K TBI 350, for 200 bucks (I think that's how much).

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not if he reuses the external engine parts it is. Meaning vortec block with TBI setup. I have that in a 90 c2500.

No. Vortec heads have a different bolt pattern for the intake manifold, so the stock intake will not bolt on. Also, Vortec heads do not have an exhaust crossover, which is why the EGR will not work unless you rig some parts up. If you did not have to deal with these issues, then you don't have a Vortec motor ('96-'00).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay