Time for a crate engine. Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hah, well until I change out the gear the speedo/odo read 10% low, so hell I will even send them some pictures if they want, sounds like an extra 3,600 miles under warranty ;)
Mine is off 30% now untill I get the speedometer adapter replaced

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Yes, high idle when cold. It looks at CTS, MAT, etc. My cam is stock Vortec(engine is a factory crate L31R). Vacuum is really high. It idles at 26-27kPa, which is over 22inHg.

edit: fuel enrichment is accomplished by a number of parameters like CTS, MAT, etc. timing is also computer controlled and adjusted by these and many other parameters. One of the other tunable features is after start enrichment, decay rate thereof; there are a multitude of adjustments possible in the software. I’d assumed there would be similar tunability in the edelbrock software, but I don’t know much about it. There’s enough involved with learning the depth of features of the Holley software. It’s actually quite incredible how tunable they are.

I probably should have went with the Sniper system. I have the first generation Edelbrock. It has cold start enrichment. It used to raise the idle speed. Then they updated the firmware and software. Idle speed no longer raises. The first generation doesn't control the timing. They made a second generation that had a lot more features and included a computer controlled distributor. But I guess it still had issues and they pulled it from the market. They no longer make a TBI system.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I probably should have went with the Sniper system. I have the first generation Edelbrock. It has cold start enrichment. It used to raise the idle speed. Then they updated the firmware and software. Idle speed no longer raises. The first generation doesn't control the timing. They made a second generation that had a lot more features and included a computer controlled distributor. But I guess it still had issues and they pulled it from the market. They no longer make a TBI system.
That stinks about the lack of support.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
That's a little concerning because it does get pretty cold here in the winter. I've never heard anyone else mention it before, I wonder how common of an issue that is? I like the idea of getting Vortec heads but not if I have to switch it over to tpi or something. Sure that would make a better engine but once again that's even more hassle when I'm just trying to get this thing streetable again. Did it really run that bad or was it just a little rough till it warmed up? I can live with it being a little rough for a few minutes, but if it makes the truck un-driveable then I would want to steer clear of that option.

I wonder if most of the vortec head installers only run their rigs in fair weather. I can't run mine in the wintertime without lots of stumbling and stalling. If I can run it for at least a half hour it'll heat up enough to run decent. I'm running the gm performance intake with the stock hot air choke quadrajet converted to electric. I think a manual choke would be better. The electric choke will open even if the engine is cold. I'm also not running exhaust heat to the intake. The engine runs great once it's warmed up. I wouldn't talk you out of vortec, they are a great upgrade especially with a torquey cam installed.

chappy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chappy78
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I wonder if most of the vortec head installers only run their rigs in fair weather. I can't run mine in the wintertime without lots of stumbling and stalling. If I can run it for at least a half hour it'll heat up enough to run decent. I'm running the gm performance intake with the stock hot air choke quadrajet converted to electric. I think a manual choke would be better. The electric choke will open even if the engine is cold. I'm also not running exhaust heat to the intake. The engine runs great once it's warmed up. I wouldn't talk you out of vortec, they are a great upgrade especially with a torquey cam installed.

I’m hopeful this won’t be an issue for me. I’ll be depending on my truck with my new Vortec L31R with the Chevrolet Performance intake (w/o EGR) and Sniper EFI for cold weather duty. I’ll know when it’s back together and running next week (fingers crossed).

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I’m hopeful this won’t be an issue for me. I’ll be depending on my truck with my new Vortec L31R with the Chevrolet Performance intake (w/o EGR) and Sniper EFI for cold weather duty. I’ll know when it’s back together and running next week (fingers crossed).
Good luck! Hah, sounds like I'll be waiting to see what happens before I make a move. Can't be too warm in Seattle this time of year...

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bought the base level crate years ago and it while it isn't great for gobs of power, it ran great and I could still break land speed records with it. If you get the base crate and don't care about the warranty, swap in a torquey cam before the first start-up and enjoy a more powerful engine.
I've installed 3 of the base Goodwrench 350 crate engines over the years -- one in my 69 C10, the others in friends' 51 Chevy truck and 55 Chevy car. All had small 4 bbl carbs (450-600 CFM) and headers. By hot rod standards it has crappy heads, low compression, and small cam; however, everyone was happy with the power, even surprised by it! Smooth idle, zero valve train noise, torque right off idle, and that old school mellow sound through glass packs or modern performance mufflers.

The one in my truck got a Summit K1102 204/214 cam, which gained me 500 RPM and maybe another 20 hp, with a slight loss of torque down down low. Next time I would choose a different aftermarket cam with an earlier intake valve closing angle to keep cylinder pressure as high as possible -- like a Summit K00032, which looks identical to a Crane 100032, probably even made by them for Summit.

But compared to a stock 70s-80s engine, this engine with a stock cam rocks for everyday use where you want to good power from 1200-4500 RPM.

Another Plus: Standard heads and manifold with heat riser passages to warm up the carb. Vortec heads suck in cold weather unless you have EFI.

Last edited:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The solution to all the cold weather problems on any of these engine setups is carb heat. Add in cold-air induction from the radiator bulkhead, and you have very wide temperature range for good operation. Once the manifold or header warms up, the engine is breathing warm air. I ran this setup with an air-gap manifold in Indiana down to -5 with zero problems.

See this post: https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/performer-eps-vs-performer-air-gap.10254/#post-230480

I ultimately got the correct cold-air induction tube. I also mounted an electric fan in front of the radiator and ditched the stock fan and shroud.

You must be registered for see images attach

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Duplicate post. Don't see anyway to delete it.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Duplicate post. Don't see anyway to delete it.

Yeah, I don't see any way to delete them either. Sorry about that. Net wasn't responding, and I finally got it to go, so then it posted multiple times.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Duplicates removed :waytogo:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I can’t recall if you’re running timing control on yours as well. Anyhow, no issues with my Vortec/sniper in the cold—just have to tune it properly.

chappy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chappy78
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I can’t recall if you’re running timing control on yours as well. Anyhow, no issues with my Vortec/sniper in the cold—just have to tune it properly.

Yes, I have the Sniper EFI controlling the timing with Hyperspark Ignition, Coil, and Distributor. Thanks for the note!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey Rich, seem like you had a cam suggestion for the basic 350 crate engine, right?

For guys inclined to change the cam, please note that the assemblers used LOTS of nasty hardening gasket sealant. That means the engines will rarely, if ever, leak if you don't make any mods. However, be prepared to do lots of scraping and cussing if you plan to pull the valve covers, intake manifold, timing cover and oil pan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sriddle36