Time for a crate engine. Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
So the time has finally come, the 350 in my burb is getting yanked (when I get around to it).

It's had a bit of a stumble for the better part of a year now that I could never quite figure out, performance was down and oil consumption was up but I wasn't too concerned, just figured it's a tired old 350. Towards the end of the summer when it was real hot out the truck began running hotter than I'd like to see, I assumed it was from my old calcified radiator which I cleaned the best I could. Then it clearly overheated pretty bad one day despite not showing on the gauge. The same day on the way home the radiator started leaking so after letting it sit a couple months I recently sprang for a nice new aluminum 4 core radiator, figured that should fix the temp problems. I haven't been driving it much lately but I've had weird temp fluctuations ever since, at first I just thought it was running cool because of the huge radiator but lately have noticed it jumping back and forth between like 150 and 200 so I assumed it was just trapped air in the system. Yesterday I went out to bleed out the air and lo and behold I'm getting lots of exhaust in the cooling system.

So best case scenario nothing is cracked and it's just a head gasket, but I'd still want to swap the heads out while I've got it apart, that thing is a dog. Then I think it's a 350 with around 170k on it that burns oil, if I'm gonna throw heads at it I should rebuild it. Then if I'm gonna rebuild it, I might as well do a cam. And then I think to myself, well if I'm gonna go ahead and do all that why don't I just buy a ******* crate engine and be done with it?

Long story short, it's getting a new engine. There are so many options out there I'm not sure which is best. Whenever I search online there are so many different choices it kind of turns me off and think "I'll deal with that later". I'm keeping it a 350, I don't want to mess around with an LS swap or anything, want to keep this simple- It's winter and I currently do not have a garage. Just a regular 350 crate engine, ideally something with a little more power than the current setup. I always wanted to do a 454 but I would need a different transmission and axles and all that fun stuff, at this point I just want it back on the road and reliable. Even though the TBI sucks, I do like the convenience of fuel injection and would like to keep it if possible. What do you guys think, any ideas? Positive (or negative) experiences with specific engines you've bought?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I'd say the vortec crate, but I think a member on here bought one and had issues with stuff. I bought the base level crate years ago and it while it isn't great for gobs of power, it ran great and I could still break land speed records with it. If you get the base crate and don't care about the warranty, swap in a torquey cam before the first start-up and enjoy a more powerful engine.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
I'm looking at the L31 crate engine. I'll have to run an electric pump but it's more hp and tq with the vortec heads and roller cam. My current motor by the time I build it, and add the vortec heads i'll have nearly the same $ in it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Since you are staying 350 and keeping it close to stock or stock with mild modifications I'd use Oregon engines. https://www.oregonengines.net/ I've used them a couple of times, they will ship to you, their prices are competitive, and their engines come with a lifetime warranty to the original owner.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Back when I was building my '77 I put a crate engine in and it was the best decision that was made from both a money and time standpoint. I think at the time they called it a "350/350 H.O. Deluxe". They rated it at 350 hp. No idea what that equals once the power gets to the wheels but it's definitely a solid runner. The engine came with a 3 year, 36k mile warranty on it so if you drive yours a lot that's a pretty cool warranty. The engine basically came ready to plug in. We had to make some tweaks to the carb tuning, obviously, but other than that we threw her in and she ran. I think price shipped to my house was around $4k from a dealership in Illinois. We priced the cost of building one and dollars wise was going to be a wash but a LOT more time and effort to build without the warranty either.

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I'm looking at the L31 crate engine. I'll have to run an electric pump but it's more hp and tq with the vortec heads and roller cam. My current motor by the time I build it, and add the vortec heads i'll have nearly the same $ in it.

Go with the 383E stroker, you basically just put your Vortec intake and injector spider in it and drive it. I would upgrade to the MPFI spider though. I did that with headers on my 97 Z71 with the stock 350 Vortec and it was a totally different truck.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Since you are staying 350 and keeping it close to stock or stock with mild modifications I'd use Oregon engines. https://www.oregonengines.net/ I've used them a couple of times, they will ship to you, their prices are competitive, and their engines come with a lifetime warranty to the original owner.
Thanks for the link, I'll have to check them out

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Back when I was building my '77 I put a crate engine in and it was the best decision that was made from both a money and time standpoint. I think at the time they called it a "350/350 H.O. Deluxe". They rated it at 350 hp. No idea what that equals once the power gets to the wheels but it's definitely a solid runner. The engine came with a 3 year, 36k mile warranty on it so if you drive yours a lot that's a pretty cool warranty. The engine basically came ready to plug in. We had to make some tweaks to the carb tuning, obviously, but other than that we threw her in and she ran. I think price shipped to my house was around $4k from a dealership in Illinois. We priced the cost of building one and dollars wise was going to be a wash but a LOT more time and effort to build without the warranty either.

That's basically what I'm thinking too. I could build my engine but after all that time and money it would be so much easier to just toss a crate engine in there, and a warranty is freaking sweet (not that I don't trust my own mechanical abilities but it's nice to have that reassurance). I wonder how it works though because I would be putting the engine in myself, most warranties only cover if a shop does the work. How do they verify the mileage? Also I do like the sound of the 350/350, I've heard of that from other people too

Just gotta figure out what to do about the fuel injection, not sure if I would pass enough fuel for that. Probably some bigger injectors would be fine

Last edited:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
BBC 454 for my vote. That's what I'm swapping this holiday season for the wee 05.

I've always wanted to put a 454 in it, but I doubt that would work too well with my 700r4. And if I was really going to go that route I'd also want some better axles too. I simply don't have the time, energy, or extra money for all that at this point. Plus not having a garage and working outside sucks (**** this house I miss my shop at my last house). That's more of a project that I would slowly start gathering parts for and do in time (like when I sell this house and buy a garage that has a house on the property too).

Just having a fresh 350 that runs right and has a little more power will be enough for me, I could actually start driving it more often like I used to.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
I have a new Chevrolet performance crate 350 HO in my 4x4 and it’s great, 333 HP and plenty of torque. I love it !
You must be registered for see images attach
Chevrolet Performance ZZ6 EFI Turnkey crate engine would be something to consider. It’s a complete kit, 350 ci 420 hp.
You must be registered for see images attach

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
There are multiple vendors for crate engines (including GM PP), but I would always look for some key features:
- Iron Vortec heads or similar performance aluminum heads. They will outperform any of the older head designs. You can pay for a lot of machine work on old OEM heads and they will almost be as good as a stock iron Vortec head, but why go through the trouble.
- Use a block designed for OEM roller cam. Roller cams provide much more flexibiliy for cam choices, cam lobes last longer, etc. Don't waste money on a flat tappet cam unless you are really on a tight budget. I'm not saying flat tappet cams won't work, but why buy a new engine with old cam technology.
- EFI is good, but you can get the same horsepower with a carburetor if you know how to tune it. However, EFI means it will start and run every time, even when your spouse/brother/son/daughter is driving it, and regardless of the weather. If its a DD, then EFI is a good choice.

Bruce

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
with your fuel injection on the truck I would look at gm crate engine 12681431 or 12530283 brand new with a warranty and would work well with your 700R.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I've always wanted to put a 454 in it, but I doubt that would work too well with my 700r4. And if I was really going to go that route I'd also want some better axles too. I simply don't have the time, energy, or extra money for all that at this point. Plus not having a garage and working outside sucks (**** this house I miss my shop at my last house). That's more of a project that I would slowly start gathering parts for and do in time (like when I sell this house and buy a garage that has a house on the property too).

Just having a fresh 350 that runs right and has a little more power will be enough for me, I could actually start driving it more often like I used to.

Gotcha man. I don't have a garage to work in either(I know how that sucks)and that's why I'm taking down to the shop and have them switch motors and transmissions out. He quoted me $1,500 to swap them out. I've saved some money and this way I won't have to **** with it. Pretty sure I have a 10 bolt that came on it. I'm gonna leave it alone for now and just change the oil in it afterwards. We'll see how it holds up. Always wanted a short bed with a BBC in it and nows my chance to do it. Good luck to ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDuke