Rear Diff Pinion Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwgreen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
Can anyone tell me where I might be able to acquire a pinion shaft? I've searched the interwebs but it only seems to come with a carrier or gear set. I really don't need a carrier or anything else just the pinion shaft that goes into the center of the carrier. Any advice would be appreciated.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Pick and pull, LKQ, other assoted wrecking yards were you can pull your own parts....

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The reason they come in pairs like that is because the ring gear and the pinion gear have to be mated with each other. So if you just throw in a pinion shaft you’ll be rebuilding your whole diff not far down the road.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I think he is talking about the bolted shaft that holds the spider gears in place through the center of the carrier?

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I think he is talking about the bolted shaft that holds the spider gears in place through the center of the carrier?
That was my thought too. Hey @jwgreen , are you looking for the pinion gear, or the "cross shaft"? I used to get them at Car Quest(Now Advance Auto?) for 20 or 30 bucks. Make sure to get a new lock bolt (about 5 bucks) too, if this is what you are talking about....

jwgreen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
5.7L V8

That was my thought too. Hey @jwgreen , are you looking for the pinion gear, or the "cross shaft"? I used to get them at Car Quest(Now Advance Auto?) for 20 or 30 bucks. Make sure to get a new lock bolt (about 5 bucks) too, if this is what you are talking about....

Thanks guys,

Yes it's the shaft in the center of the diff carrier. Not the pinion input shaft with the gear. I looked it up on a parts diagram and that is what they called it "pinion shaft". Anyway I will check with Advance Auto to see if they can locate me one. Thanks again everyone for you help.

jwgreen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
After a little further investigation and calling the GMC dealership I have found that the part number is 14012700 and these can be had very easily with a search on the interwebs. They are called both "pinion cross shaft" and just "pinion shaft". Just in case someone else has the need for one.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
a little off topic but back when I had my 1968 Bronco I broke the cross shaft in the front diff and ended up finding a perfect replacement using one of my dad;s chrome kick stands off his Harley. It took a fair amount of time to hacksaw it, and I am pretty sure I got a beating shortly afterwards, but it enabled me to sell the truck with working 4 x 4, lol.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
a little off topic but back when I had my 1968 Bronco I broke the cross shaft in the front diff and ended up finding a perfect replacement using one of my dad;s chrome kick stands off his Harley. It took a fair amount of time to hacksaw it, and I am pretty sure I got a beating shortly afterwards, but it enabled me to sell the truck with working 4 x 4, lol.
lol, You're "pretty sure" you got a beating? I would think the beating after repurposing a man's Harley part without permission, would be nothing short of epic.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ohhh. I know what a "cross shaft" is. That is more correct for that part :imo: and why you had the initial troubles finding what you wanted.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
At that time I was being a rebellious teen so I got a beating but the question would be what it was for.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
little off topic but back when I had my 1968 Bronco I broke the cross shaft in the front diff and ended up finding a perfect replacement using one of my dad;s chrome kick stands off his Harley. It took a fair amount of time to hacksaw it, and I am pretty sure I got a beating shortly afterwards, but it enabled me to sell the truck with working 4 x 4, lol.

Take a hacksaw to my Harley and I'll make another one to replace you.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Take a hacksaw to my Harley and I'll make another one to replace you.

It was one of many spares in a parts bin... I figured he wouldn't miss it since it was a spare parts piece. What I didn't realize is it was his valued Drag Specialties piece... Whatever...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76