Gear pattern and noise questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don-T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have finished my Dana 44 in the front and it works very well. It now has a 4.11 gear to match the rear along with a Powertrax worm gear limited slip.

I did the same with the rear 12 bolt axle back in July. It has a slight whine on deceleration at anything more than 20 MPH. I am thinking about taking the axle back apart to reset the pinoin as I think it is too close to the center of the ring gear. I have added drive and coast pictures below. I am wondering if I can get the gear set to be quiet with a better pattern or would I need to replace the ring and pinion. The axle has about 800 miles on it since the rebuilt. If I can reset the ring and pinion I would only need to buy a new pinoin seal. I plan to resuse the bearings as they were new with the rebuild. I have everthing else.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I'm no gear setter upper guy but there doesn't seem to be enough footprint in the paint. I guess that could be not enough drag while running the pattern but I'm interested to see if anyone suggests more adjustment to make the pattern better.

Since it's broke in and has some real miles on it, I would be prepared for it to always whine even after adjustment(s).

Don-T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the comments. I have read thoughts both ways regarding the possibility of the noise getting better. Seems like it may be a crap shoot. I am retired so I have nothing but time to take it apart and try again. If it is going to take a new gear set to make it quiet, I will have to think real hard about spending the money.

When I did the front axle I bought Yukon parts and they came with a booklet with good pointers. The book has a bunch of gear pattern drawings that helped for setting up the front. Based on the drawings, I think the pinion in the rear\ is too close to the ring gear center line. The straight line across the bottom is the give away.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just about there... 1st pic is close, 2nd pic needs to be more centered. You will have a slight noised after about 10k miles.

Yukon Gear has a good tutorial.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Who's gears are they? When I was researching and trying to decide on ratio for my truck, everyone pretty much unanimously stated that Richmond's that are deeper than 3.73 will have some noise. I wasn't worried about it since the truck was going to be loud anyway but I can definitely hear mine when coasting ~25mph (can't hear above that because of wind noise or exhaust). Took the truck back over to the guy that set them up to double check and he said they're perfect, just noisy. Mine are 3.90 Richmond's that I got through Quick Performance.

Don-T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Who's gears are they? When I was researching and trying to decide on ratio for my truck, everyone pretty much unanimously stated that Richmond's that are deeper than 3.73 will have some noise. I wasn't worried about it since the truck was going to be loud anyway but I can definitely hear mine when coasting ~25mph (can't hear above that because of wind noise or exhaust). Took the truck back over to the guy that set them up to double check and he said they're perfect, just noisy. Mine are 3.90 Richmond's that I got through Quick Performance.
Interesting, I did use Richmond. The front, which is quiet, is Yukon.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have set up 5-6 during my time. I can attest to Richmonds being noisy. As I recall, and I just verified by a quick Google search, whining on deceleration is usually a loose pinion preload. Now that you have run it, I bet money if you pull it and recheck the preload it will be almost zero now that the bearings have "set". That's not a bad thing as long as there is no slack in it. Used bearings don't last long if they are preloaded after break-in. If it really bothers you, swap the transmission to a NV4500. That will cover any mechanical noise the truck makes. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod