Rag joint replacement difficulty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Hello all,

My 76 K10 Scottsdale has a little steering slop and tends to wander on the road. I'd like to replace the rag joint but I want to know how difficult of a job that's going to be before I get after it. As always I appreciate your advice!

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's pretty simple. Remove the two nuts that go from the rag joint to the steering shaft. Then you can pry them apart. Then remove the bolt that secures the rag joint to the steering box output shaft and pry it off. Install is opposite.

Also watch as they make 2 different ones, they have different spline counts.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
It's pretty simple. Remove the two nuts that go from the rag joint to the steering shaft. Then you can pry them apart. Then remove the bolt that secures the rag joint to the steering box output shaft and pry it off. Install is opposite.

Also watch as they make 2 different ones, they have different spline counts.
Thank you!! That seems fairly easy

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Go for the Jeep or Borgner steering shaft replacement, and ditch the rag joint completely
I've looked into that but it seems considerably more difficult

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The jeep steering shaft conversion will not work with ‘79 and early squarebody trucks if you still have the original steering box. I installed a new rag joint on my ‘75 (easy job) and it helped quite a bit, but there is still a fair amount of play in my steering box.

There is also an adjuster (with a lock nut around it) on the top of the steering box, and you can experiment with it to see how much you can get rid of freeplay. However, it’s easy to go too far wirh the adjustment and end up with binding of the steering.

The GM manual is specific about disconnecting the steering from the tie rods and then using a spring scale to measure the drag as you adjust the box. It’s not really that complicated to do it the right way, but most guys just turn the adjuster down about 1/4 turn at a time and see if it helps. YMMV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag