Questions (smog).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This is the line going right back into the tank.

Trace this if you can. The maximum lines this should have are supply, return, and EVAP. Plus the fill. If it goes to the small nipple on your fuel pump, it's the return.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Real quick, truck has complete custom true dual exhaust. I'm assuming these are O2 sensor plugs? Only on drivers side.

No, the green one looks like a TCC lockup connector. I'm guessing the truck came with a TH350C or a 700R4. The other one I'm not entirely sure. It kind of looks like a Dual Stage Accelerator Pump or MCS Connector. Not too sure, though. I'd like to know because my Caprice has the same type connector just dangling. Was this a Cali truck?

Last edited:

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You could put a filter on the EVAP line, vent from up top, and call it a day. You can also do a venting gas cap, and leave the line plugged like it is now, too.

Well son of a gun. That actually sounds like really freaking smart! Wish I had thought of that. I could still remove the canister and not have to worry about a venting cap. So long as I have the proper filter. Or I could just plug the line and go for a venting cap. I knew that already. Thanks for the filter idea.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks. Hope you figure out the other stuff.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No, the green one looks like a TCC lockup connector. I'm guessing the truck came with a TH350C or a 700R4. The other one I'm not entirely sure. It kind of looks like a Dual Stage Accelerator Pump or MCS Connector. Not too sure, though. I'd like to know because my Caprice has the same type connector just dangling. Was this a Cali truck?

This truck I was told was from Detroit. Idk if that's true or not but it would have made a heck of a trip from Cali to Ga.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That is a vacuum reservoir. Should be connected to vacuum line with a tee that splits to run ac/heater. The plugs on the driver side look like for 700r4 transmission.
On the bell housing, you are missing support rods that bolt to the housing and tie in to the engine block.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I see what you are saying. Are they really gonna effect me any if I don't have the support rods?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 83

Adamds86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
This truck I was told was from Detroit. Idk if that's true or not but it would have made a heck of a trip from Cali to Ga.
take your VIN and look it up online. It should tell you what plant the truck was manufactured in.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
This is the line that parallels the gas fill line. Is this what allows the tank to vent vapors if need be? I remember reading something like that. If not, then what is it for? This pic is looking up at the fill line. Tank is on top. It just attaches right back into the tank so I'm stumped.

The small line next to the fuel filler hose is to vent the air. When you add gas to the tank the air you are displacing has to go out and it goes out thru that line.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I see what you are saying. Are they really gonna effect me any if I don't have the support rods?

In demanding 4wd use they are beneficial, in town makes no differance.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The small line next to the fuel filler hose is to vent the air. When you add gas to the tank the air you are displacing has to go out and it goes out thru that line.

See I knew there was a reason why I joined. Learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In demanding 4wd use they are beneficial, in town makes no differance.

I won't be doing any balls to the walls off-roading but just some local muddin holes. Any idea where I could get some. I looked on Rock Auto and Brothers but didn't see any. Haven't down LMC yet. Real quick, '84 has a swapped 350 which is why I'm assuming they were taken off. Will that affect anything such as length or whatnot? Thanks!

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Also another question. I've been looking but I can't seem to find a solid answer and I know it's been asked many times BUT, what are my axle ratios??? Pretty sure it's Coorprate Standard 10 Bolt front and rear because it has the little tabs at the bottom of the "pumpkin". Rear end has #3896839 GM82 and front axle has #14030378 located on the passenger side on the back of the pumpkin near the driveshaft. I know that I can jack the truck up and do the math but if somebody does happen to know that would be GREAT! 1984 Chevy K10. Thanks...

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I think that due to the presence of those two blocks (at 5 & 7 o'clock), you have identified it as a 10 bolt corporate - and with a 8.5 inch ring gear. Another indicator is the cover. It should have a bulge on the LH side - like a guy with a big chew of tobacco in his cheek.

So you know it's a 10-B Corp with an 8.5 ring gear. Unfortunately, that's about all you are going to know - without pulling the cover off and reading the ratio stamped on the ring gear.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Do you have the RPO code sticker on the inside of the glove box door? That will guide you to the options like axle ratio the truck had from the factory. You'll have to physically check to make sure it hasn't been changed over the years.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do you have the RPO code sticker on the inside of the glove box door? That will guide you to the options like axle ratio the truck had from the factory. You'll have to physically check to make sure it hasn't been changed over the years.

Unfortantly no I do not. It was taken out and the one on the fender well in the engine bay is pretty much toast. I've cleaned it up as best I can but some of it is still hard to read. PRO Code GQ1. Standard Rear Axle. Pretty sure it's stock. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4366&highlight=THM400
Found on here a list of PRO Coses but it doesn't say the "Standard Ratio", so I'm stuck...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man