Questions (smog).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Alrighty then. So I has gots some questions that need some answerings if y'all can help. On mobile, I can only post one picture at a time for whatever reason so bear with me. Down here in Georgia, my 84 is considered to be a classic and therefore is exempt from emissions. I want to remove my charcoal canister from my engine bay seeing as how it's not needed. There is only one line hooked up which attaches to the hard line going back to the tank and I believe it is for the gas vapor so that it can be reused, right? I've been reading some of the forums on here and it says that I don't need that so long as the vapor can escape through the gas cap but only if it's a venting cap, right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 67

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There are three hard lines that wind up going back to the tank that follow the frame. One is a fill? and the other two are send/recive? I think that's right. Anyways, they go above the tank to were I can't see which one is which. Idk which one to cut. Any help? I don't want to drop the tank at all btw. I don't think that I would have to do that though. These are the hard lines that disappear above the tank. Best pic I could get. Left, middle or right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 91

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is the line that parallels the gas fill line. Is this what allows the tank to vent vapors if need be? I remember reading something like that. If not, then what is it for? This pic is looking up at the fill line. Tank is on top. It just attaches right back into the tank so I'm stumped.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 68

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is the line going right back into the tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 56

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Real quick, truck has complete custom true dual exhaust. I'm assuming these are O2 sensor plugs? Only on drivers side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 61

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When I took the gas tank shroud off, I knew it was muddy but I expected it to be dry. Of course it wasn't, for quite some time it had been rusting through the bracket holding up the front of the tank. Yay, explosions are good right? So I'm in need of one. Any idea where to get one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 74

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Gas tank shroud.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 54

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have no brake lines. Emergency brakes I mean. Lol. 4inch lift installed and PO didn't think it was important to get new ones. Any extensions that I could get? No biggie for me though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 59

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pretty sure I might need all of those missing bell housing/ torque converter bolts? Beware, not a mechanic here!!! Autozone should do it right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 56

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And lastly, for now at least, what is this??? Bolted into the firewall but the hose was not hooked up to anything. It's empty so I have no clue. Sorry for so many different questions and little sections within the thread but like I said, I'm on mobile and it doesn't like me. Thanks in advance peoples and any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 59

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
And lastly, for now at least, what is this??? Bolted into the firewall but the hose was not hooked up to anything. It's empty so I have no clue. Sorry for so many different questions and little sections within the thread but like I said, I'm on mobile and it doesn't like me. Thanks in advance peoples and any help is appreciated.
That is a vacuum reservoir. Should be connected to vacuum line with a tee that splits to run ac/heater. The plugs on the driver side look like for 700r4 transmission.
On the bell housing, you are missing support rods that bolt to the housing and tie in to the engine block.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
PO had swapped in a 350. Could that have affected the support rods?

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Found the support brackets for the gas tank.
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/mobile/73-87-GAS-TANK-MOUNTING-BRACKET-_-STRAP/productinfo/BSGTM87/

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Alrighty then. So I has gots some questions that need some answerings if y'all can help. On mobile, I can only post one picture at a time for whatever reason so bear with me. Down here in Georgia, my 84 is considered to be a classic and therefore is exempt from emissions. I want to remove my charcoal canister from my engine bay seeing as how it's not needed. There is only one line hooked up which attaches to the hard line going back to the tank and I believe it is for the gas vapor so that it can be reused, right? I've been reading some of the forums on here and it says that I don't need that so long as the vapor can escape through the gas cap but only if it's a venting cap, right?

You could put a filter on the EVAP line, vent from up top, and call it a day. You can also do a venting gas cap, and leave the line plugged like it is now, too.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
There are three hard lines that wind up going back to the tank that follow the frame. One is a fill? and the other two are send/recive? I think that's right. Anyways, they go above the tank to were I can't see which one is which. Idk which one to cut. Any help? I don't want to drop the tank at all btw. I don't think that I would have to do that though. These are the hard lines that disappear above the tank. Best pic I could get. Left, middle or right?

One should be the EVAP, one should be the return, and one should be the supply. The fill one is fat. Which one are you trying to cut, the EVAP? You should follow it back from the canister if you can. Make sure you plug it real good if that's your plan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69