Questions about snow plows and mounts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
i would look for a used squarebody plow truck with a good working plow and move the plow frame over to your truck. not a lot of work. dont forget to add timbrin overload bump stops to replace the stock ones. i have been doing exactly what you intend to do for 17 years with a used $300 meyer plow first on a '86k5 and now on my '72k5. you can sell or scrap the old plow truck when you have everything off that you want.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
Honestly I should have been looking throughout the summer months as well, I feel I am a little bit late in the year to start searching.

I would love to find an ole chev that has a plow already mounted and needs some work.

people in my are think a 30 year old setup is still worth what a brand new one costs...

I have been looking and will probably have something set up for next year, I am in no hurry I have a tractor that does a good job moving the snow

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Ya, presume you’re in Eastern WA somewhere.
Not as many snow plows per capita as say back east. Supply and demand. I did see some of the stupid prices on CL around here.
Go back to the Midwest and there’s old trucks beached with plows on them all over the place.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I would not recommend a plow on a half ton chevy truck or suburban.

The frames on the 1973 to 1991 are too thin and are prone to cracking, however the 3/4 ton and 1 ton frames are a bit thicker and more well suited to handle the weight of a plow.

Some plows now days can be Poly which Ive noticed is only a couple hundred poundsless if that.. If i remember correctly a 7.5 western plow with mount and blade was nearing 800 lbs.

I plowed 18 years with a pair of Western plows.
Mostly with a K10 Suburban mounted with a 8.5 Western Pro plow.
Best outfit I ever had.
The other was K10 pickup.
Never cracked any frames.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
it seems that 7.5 is a good length for these trucks.

I look at used setups and and at new ones online and really there is not a big difference in prices.

Tractor supply has a meyers plow i think is probly 7.5 feet, it states the dimensions of the box it comes in, but not the size of the damn plow.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/meyer-products-hydraulically-powered-homeplow-auto-angle

does this look like junk?? I kinda think its probably an "alright" plow
no idea how wide mine is havent taken a tape measure to it. originally a meyers plow, appears to be reskinned and the sector and a frame were recreated
You must be registered for see images attach

as you can see the wiring for the pump was... eh... and the mount was reinforced later in the frame with those two large steel things. rods. powers a single lift cylinder, no sides for me. most have sides.

also, here is neighbor no idea what he has

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
here some more:

as you can see, my sector and a frame are... they arent doing too hot. the metal got fatigued from either wrong pins, wrong holes, or weak metal. all the dirt my gpa pushed with the damn thing prob didnt help

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
That is definatley a heavy duty setup, It looks tough as nails, I do appreciate your pictures it does help me when I am looking at different styles of mounts.

I haven't bought a plow yet, I am probably going to go take a look at a 7.5 foot western this weekend

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
western looks to be simple for sure. I have a mount, well, more like 1/2 of a western mount in my pile. its for a square. no pump and no truck-side bracket but the part that supports the plow is there. no idea on name

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I like the set of bars on your truck that go down the frame so far, I think thats a good idea for rigidity.

I dont mind fabricating a mount that will work for me, but the price of the plow has to be very reasonable.

if the electric/hydraulic parts are not in working condition I will probably plumb everything into my power steering pump, I think that would be a nice feature to have even if it has a low GPM flow rate.

86454k30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
CHEVROLET
Engine Size
I am in eastern washington and sell plows for a living.

1.Please don't buy a plow that mounts in a front receiver you will hate it.
2.do not buy a light duty "home owner" plow as they don't have the best controls.
3. If you buy a used plow make sure it has ALL the items you need wiring, controls, mount etc, if not it gets expensive.
4. Generally a plow in the 2500-3500 range used that DOESN'T have what you need will cost you as much as a new plow.

Any other questions feel free and message me and I can give you my email address or work number.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I do appreciate you chiming in, and what you stated is kinda what I was thinking, I work at a place that does alot of fabrication and hydraulic work, I am confident I can build a very nice mount I just want a decent plow that doesnt cost 5or6 thousand.

86454k30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
CHEVROLET
Engine Size
I do appreciate you chiming in, and what you stated is kinda what I was thinking, I work at a place that does alot of fabrication and hydraulic work, I am confident I can build a very nice mount I just want a decent plow that doesnt cost 5or6 thousand.

If you can build a mount..............I can sell you a brand new plow in your budget I'd bet. Snow Dogg from Buyers offers a pretty nice plow for the money. They don't offer a mount for the 73-87 trucks though. Price would be under $5000.00 for a brand new one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey