Questions about snow plows and mounts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
not sure if I am posting this in the right area, please move if neccessary.

Looking to install a snow plow on a 1985 K20.

What size plow is the best for these trucks, I was thinking 7-7.5 feet in length, I could see where something to big would be a problem.

I see some of them attach to a square reciever similiar to a class 2-3 hitch, I think that is looks like its gonna break. anyone have any experience with that mount style, please chime in and share how it works.

Whats a good brand?? I am looking for a stout homeowners grade, I dont need what the pros use to plow my 300 feet of driveway.

I will admit I know absolutley nothing about styles/types of plows and mounts, if you have a quality setup please let me know what you are running. THANKS

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
We have a Hiniker 7.5' trip edge straight blade on our current plow truck (2004 Ram). It's about 10 years old at this point and is holding up very well. Other than the typical wear items, it has needed nothing. Other good brands to consider are Meyers, Boss, Western, etc. There are also other styles such as the V-Plows, full trip, etc. to consider.

I would highly suggest a system that uses a quick attach mounting system of some type (most modern plows will have this feature). With the current Hiniker, you simply drive in, attach the wiring harness, roll it back, and attach the pins.

Last edited:

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
how many points of cantact does your mount make to the truck, I think 2 would be sufficient, but I see a square trailer hitch style as being a potential weak point.

what price range should I be looking at for a quality setup, I like to buy once cry once as apposed to being cheap and having to buy another in a few years, I see some for the 1,500 dollar range and wonder if they are gonna give me headaches, for 2,500 it seems you get a lot better setups (at least on paper) is anyone using a $1,500 setup and liking it??

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There are 2 mounting points on the quick mount. It's hard to see since we already have it on the truck for the winter. But, here are a couple of quick pictures for you.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
that looks like a nice sturdy setup, I do appreciate the pics and info, that is more what I pictured as opposed to a trailer hitch style mount.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have an old Meyers 7 1/2' that I bought in 1985. I plow a couple of parking lots and my driveway with it and it has held up well. All of the squarebodies use the same mounts so a used one should be easy to find. I wouldn't trust the receiver hitch ones for 300', possibly for a shore city driveway only.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No experience with the happy homeowner models. And commercial grade plow setups are super expensive, new, and still around $3k for good used, and it has to fit your truck or you’re buying or fabbing a new mount.
The few times I’ve needed a plow in the past. I’ve sought out a used truck with a plow. Overall that seemed to be the most economical solution. Know what the parts cost before looking. Only a few things that would need replaced. Pump, motor, controller, cables or cutting edges.
Last one, I bought a blazer with a working plow and a blown engine (with a new looking transmission). Swapped the trans for my failing trans and swapped the plow to my blazer.
Ended up costing very little in the long run. May have actually come out ahead after selling the donor and the working plow truck when we moved

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
it seems that 7.5 is a good length for these trucks.

I look at used setups and and at new ones online and really there is not a big difference in prices.

Tractor supply has a meyers plow i think is probly 7.5 feet, it states the dimensions of the box it comes in, but not the size of the damn plow.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/meyer-products-hydraulically-powered-homeplow-auto-angle

does this look like junk?? I kinda think its probably an "alright" plow

I'm going to be honest with you, I don't know how much I would trust that grade of plow. Even being extremely careful in your own driveway, you will eventually hook that plow hard on something. Without knowing the quality of the trip mechanism and especially the single mount point, it's longevity is questionable.

I don't mean to discourage you. But, we have been plowing a long time and things break, even on the commercial grade units.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I appreciate the honesty, I was just thinking along the same lines.

It is very hard to judge how cheap something is made without being able to put eyes on it.

there is a couple older used setups near me on Craigslist, but I dont want to spend 1,500 on something thats sitting outside for years with grass growing around it and not be able to test the hydraulic/electrics.

I need to find somel local andscapers that have mounted plows and pick there brains about them

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm going to be honest with you, I don't know how much I would trust that grade of plow. Even being extremely careful in your own driveway, you will eventually hook that plow hard on something. Without knowing the quality of the trip mechanism and especially the single mount point, it's longevity is questionable.

I don't mean to discourage you. But, we have been plowing a long time and things break, even on the commercial grade units.
I agree. You have to understand that the length of the plow works as a lever when you hit something, and before you can stop you have possibly caused some damage. I bent up the main frame on my plow last year because a pin came out and the plow caught something and levered it around.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I am in no hurry to buy something I will regret, I have used my little kubota 7100 for years to clean off our driveway, I was only looking at plows because my truck is enclosed and has heat.

after really looking at what tractor supply has to offer I think I will look elsewhere, and trynto do something to the likes of Grit dog, by a whole truck thats in need of some work.

buddy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Truck Year
1973 k20
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I would not recommend a plow on a half ton chevy truck or suburban.

The frames on the 1973 to 1991 are too thin and are prone to cracking, however the 3/4 ton and 1 ton frames are a bit thicker and more well suited to handle the weight of a plow.

Some plows now days can be Poly which Ive noticed is only a couple hundred poundsless if that.. If i remember correctly a 7.5 western plow with mount and blade was nearing 800 lbs.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
For what I am wanting to do is pretty light duty, plow my 300 foot long driveway and clear the path to my shop, but I really do not want to buy a light duty communist made piece of metal. I have come to realization that I probably will not make a purchase this season.

I really do appreciate all the input from everyone about snow plows.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey