quadrajet vs edelbrock 1406

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placitas, New Mexico...not really New...not really
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350
I went through the same dilemma and opted to put another Q-jet on a dual drilled Performer 2.0 manifold on my 454. I just decided that the small primaries and vacuum secondaries gave me the best shot at NOT being OPEC's best friend. I'll let y'all know how it turns out next week.

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
One thing that most people miss about Q-jets vs. Eddies and Hollies. The latter two are 'FIXED CFM' carbs. If you buy a 650 CFM that's what it will produce. And, that may end up being to much. Most Q-jets are a 'Veritable CFM' carb the maxes out at 750 CFM (although some were 850 CFM) Because of the secondary design, the Q-Jet will ONLY draw the required CFM for the engine and demand you're putting on it. ie: A stock 350cid will only draw about 550 CFM at WOT. So, the secondaries on the Q-Jet will NEVER open past the 550CFM position. Unlike the eddys and Hollies that are trying to force a fuel air mix from a 650CFM configuration.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
One thing that most people miss about Q-jets vs. Eddies and Hollies. The latter two are 'FIXED CFM' carbs. If you buy a 650 CFM that's what it will produce. And, that may end up being to much. Most Q-jets are a 'Veritable CFM' carb the maxes out at 750 CFM (although some were 850 CFM) Because of the secondary design, the Q-Jet will ONLY draw the required CFM for the engine and demand you're putting on it. ie: A stock 350cid will only draw about 550 CFM at WOT. So, the secondaries on the Q-Jet will NEVER open past the 550CFM position. Unlike the eddys and Hollies that are trying to force a fuel air mix from a 650CFM configuration.
This^^^

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is likely why a Qjet potentially put out better mpg #'s too if it's properly tuned and adjusted. It's not going to take more than it can use.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
And why the off idle throttle response is night and day.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The engine draws what it needs. The Edelbrock in particular has a vacuum operated air plate on the secondaries. But the carb will not push more cfms than the engine draws.

The difference lies in the fact the the primaries are smaller on the Qjet. This means that you are running closer to the design stack velocity on the front barrels, and the throttle plate is more open, which means less restriction and turbulence. A carb is most efficient at the design stack velocity of the primaries. At cruise, the Eddy and Holly are running bigger primaries at lower stack velocities than the Qjet, so they can't get the same mileage.

Same conclusion, though I got there a different way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus