quadrajet vs edelbrock 1406

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
So I'm picking up a cheap edelbrock performer aluminum SBC intake this weekend. I'm curious what's the pros and cons of these 2 carbs. What will be involved swapping the quadrajet vs the edelbrock? Which one would requre less work? Which one would give best results with that intake? I'm finding them locally on CL for 100-150 for either one.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Whats a Q-Jet, like 725-750 CFM and a eddy is like about 650, I know which one I`d be loading onto that manifold.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
edelbrock.

the intake is edelbrock, performer intake, performer carb, matched pair. quadrajet may require an adapter plate to make it work on the eddy intake.

quadrajunks leak and have a bad rep for doing so, more of a pain to work on, tune and rebuild or get right, eddy is a very newb friendly carb to tune and rebuild and not be leak prone IMO. I've never had nor seen an eedy leak like quadrajets often do.

I run an eddy carb and love em.

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've always had good luck with my eddy 1406 with the electric choke....and it's a 600cfm carb by the way not sure what the quads are

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Qjets are 750, some rare ones from pontiac hi po engines are 800.
A qjet with 100,000 miles on it is a much better quality carb than a brand new Edelbrock. Best Aftermarket carburetor is Holley.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I`ve rebuilt many Q-Jet and not had any problems with them, set um and forget um, never had one leak either, unless the styrofoam float waterlogged and was sinking, I always replaced the with brass floats and never a problem from then on.
The Q-Jet on My 79, the pickup was being used very little then sat for about four years, installed a new battery, cranked about a dozen times and fired right up, does`nt leak a drop.
Carb was rebuilt over fifteen years ago and has`nt been touched or worked on since.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Replace floats, epoxy leak prone spots, Qjet is good to go. If buying new, a new qjet or carterbrock cost the same. The Qjet came on all GM's. Dodge (gasp) used the carters....which is what the edlelbrock is. There is a reason the chevys always do best on gas. The Qjet is the most efficient street carb you can run, IMHO. Have raced a couple back in the day as well.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
YUP, On the Epoxy.
I forgot about them aluminum plugs under the bottom of the float bowls what will leak the fuel down, unless epoxied in.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
What about making them fit on my 2bbl rochester application? I've considered edelbrock since it would be a matched set. As far as throttle attatchment, kickdown attatchment, fuel hookup, etc. what would I need to make the 1406 fit?

The GM guys at work are saying go quadrajet, the ford guys are telling me holley is the best and easy to set up with no real issues but I'm not sure if it would require any additional modifications for fitment on the intake or linkages plus they are typically used on fords so..

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
edelbrock has a kickdown stud and throttle stud about 5 bucks each, and fuel line I just use a section of 3/8 fuel rubber hose. run it down to the pump or if you have a factory hardline bend it and then run the line over it, meaning hook the rubber to your hardline from the pump, and some clamps of course.

Also may need a hose barb for the rear, or a plug for the rear depending on where/how your power brakes get vacuum.

sooo many ppl say go quadrajet, I personally do not like em, never had any luck with them, I've had nothing but good luck with edelbrocks. I rebuilt one almost 5 years ago, first carb I ever did, no issues, it sits alot, months at a time or more, fires right up no leaks no issues. The one my old man has on his truck is brand new, as of like 8 or 9 years ago, never had anything done to it, still works just fine.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Qjet I had, had a cracked body underneath and caused a bad vac leak/backfire. For simplicity reasons I went with a 1406 and have had many good years of service until recently which may have other engine factors to blame instead of the carb. I would give a Qjet a second chance if I had a quality core to start with. Main difference is 1406 is mechanical secondaries, which means it dumps gas at WOT regardless of engine demand and can cause cylinder wash, where the Qjet is vacuum secondaries which draws fuel as the engine needs it. If you're a bolt it on and forget it guy the 1406 is a good choice but expect to change the oil more often. If you don't mind some tinkering the Qjet can be an engine's best friend with some time invested.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
So a q-jet will get you better MPG than the 1406 then

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yes it should if you can keep your foot out of the GIANT secondaries.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
This should help you out:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732

Everyone is different, if your like me and like tinkering with stuff go to the parts yard and find a good core. Next find a barnes and noble and find a book on rebuilding quadrajets, I have one that is great. It explains everything you need to know about rebuilding one and rebuilding one for performance. I dont know why people are so scared of them, WOA DRILLING STUFF SO HARD! The kits for drilling out the throttle shaft holes are for sale online and the book explains what to do, there is also some plugs you have to knock out of the base plate so you can adjust the idle mixture.

On another sort of related note dont try rebuilding a power steering box, just **** that, buy a new one. Everything else can be rebuilt and carbs are kinda fun to rebuild.

I put a kit on my quadrajet and it worked great, I switched it out to a carter afb (same as a 1406) trying to diagnose a problem that ended up not even being related to the carb. The 1406 is a good carb too if you just need something bolt on in a hurry, I ran two different ones on my 305. At one point with the carter AFB I was getting 17mpg in a 4x4.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
I've never had good luck on carbs. I rebuilt a few carter's on mopars. I think 2 of them actually ran good afterwards. One was a faulty carb housing. I'd rather get something I can throw on the truck and leave it alone. Its a work truck and I drive it every day so I'd rather not be under the hood all the time. I just want something that goes under all throttle responses with no bog and the secondary barrels for more fuel during added power demand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus