Quadrajet manifold with edelbrock or holley carbs? Any issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My dad just asked me if Id be willing to help him get his 400 going in his 75. His issue is a completely ****** with and gummed up carb(he had a friend who was an "expert" help him, he screwed the whole thing up)and i gave him options. Because of the truck not being used often and its a dump truck converted thing with full time 4wd, he would rather get a carb thats simple so rebuilding is quicker and less indepth because the inevitable sitting is gonna take it quicker than regular use. He really likes how the 1406 for my truck is running, and wants something along that line.
He has a factory quadrajet, not computer or special controlled, just a small primary, big secondary one. I have an adapter plate already for a performer series edelbrock to quadrajet to mate them together, so he dont need to do a manifold if he gets one of those.

But, because of the primary/secondary differences, is there gonna be distro problems? Any guys run that? I know running 4 barrel on 2 barrel intake can cause problems for some. He really needs that torque curve to be good, id imagine it running lean would make it potentially hesitate when its needed most.

Also, we are open to other ideas for carbs. Im not a brand loyalist but the budget is about 400(360 or so gets a new 1406). Definitely not a 2 barrel. My dad is a fan of larger secondaries because if you drive right and have them adjusted right you can get some good mpg(relative to a sqaure body) if you have good throttle control. Unlike myself who floors it whenever I can just to hear my supercharger.

Im not familiar with holleys but an electric choke is preferred, thermostatic ones that were overly complicated are not preferred but for a good price it wouldnt be deciding.

Biggest thing is long term reliability and simplicity. Although Qjets are fine, age, ethanol, and sitting are an enemy.

He also has no AC, he bypassed that long ago so no need for AC idle up thingy. Trans is TH400, so I will have to learn about TV cables Im guessing. or however they work.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
TH400's use electric kickdown, 700r4s use a TV cable.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
TH400's use electric kickdown, 700r4s use a TV cable.
Does TH350 use a kick down? Im just guessing its th400, because my dad said it was. but i guess i should be open to the fact it could be a th350 instead? So im not stuck trying ot learn how on my phone in the sun under the hood, but rather at my computer.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Th350s use a kickdown cable mounted under the throttle linkage at the carb.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Does TH350 use a kick down? Im just guessing its th400, because my dad said it was. but i guess i should be open to the fact it could be a th350 instead? So im not stuck trying ot learn how on my phone in the sun under the hood, but rather at my computer.
It also appears 1981 and 1982 were first years for 700rs so it wouldnt be that. Its factory. Its been in my family since new. Bought acrossed the canadian border in 1976 by my grandfather, when he moved to wisconsin from montana he broughti t. Drove it till early 90s, bought a new chevy, made the square his plow truck. It did that till about 2003 or so, when he gave it to my father who removed the bed(it was rotted bad even then) and replaced it with the flatbed and a piston setup to allow it to dump. Its rusty, its seen a lot, but shes trusty.

I hope it becomes mine at some point. Ill take a pic if i remember sometime.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My dad just asked me if Id be willing to help him get his 400 going in his 75. His issue is a completely ****** with and gummed up carb(he had a friend who was an "expert" help him, he screwed the whole thing up)and i gave him options. Because of the truck not being used often and its a dump truck converted thing with full time 4wd, he would rather get a carb thats simple so rebuilding is quicker and less indepth because the inevitable sitting is gonna take it quicker than regular use. He really likes how the 1406 for my truck is running, and wants something along that line.
He has a factory quadrajet, not computer or special controlled, just a small primary, big secondary one. I have an adapter plate already for a performer series edelbrock to quadrajet to mate them together, so he dont need to do a manifold if he gets one of those.

But, because of the primary/secondary differences, is there gonna be distro problems? Any guys run that? I know running 4 barrel on 2 barrel intake can cause problems for some. He really needs that torque curve to be good, id imagine it running lean would make it potentially hesitate when its needed most.

Also, we are open to other ideas for carbs. Im not a brand loyalist but the budget is about 400(360 or so gets a new 1406). Definitely not a 2 barrel. My dad is a fan of larger secondaries because if you drive right and have them adjusted right you can get some good mpg(relative to a sqaure body) if you have good throttle control. Unlike myself who floors it whenever I can just to hear my supercharger.

Im not familiar with holleys but an electric choke is preferred, thermostatic ones that were overly complicated are not preferred but for a good price it wouldnt be deciding.

Biggest thing is long term reliability and simplicity. Although Qjets are fine, age, ethanol, and sitting are an enemy.

He also has no AC, he bypassed that long ago so no need for AC idle up thingy. Trans is TH400, so I will have to learn about TV cables Im guessing. or however they work.
I've ran those square bore edelbrocks on quadrajet manifolds with no performance problems that I could tell in daily driving.Racetrack may be different.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I've ran those square bore edelbrocks on quadrajet manifolds with no performance problems that I could tell in daily driving.Racetrack may be different.
Did you notice any improvment with a spacer(it kinda acts as one) on heatsoak? Ive never experienced it but some guys say the edelbrocks and heat soak arent good combo?

Also did you run a regulator on gas line? Anti flowback valves?

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did you notice any improvment with a spacer(it kinda acts as one) on heatsoak? Ive never experienced it but some guys say the edelbrocks and heat soak arent good combo?

Also did you run a regulator on gas line? Anti flowback valves?
I had no issues with heatsoak or fuel pressure problems on my 350.I was running a slightly bigger cam and using unwrapped headers. I initially tried running a clutchless cooling fan,but that fan may have been a little small and engine got too hot and I went to a clutch type cooling fan.. Ran good for the two years I owned it. I've never been a fan of Edelbrock square bores tho.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
If you were looking for a Holley, I would recommend the 9895. Spread bore design, vacuum secondaries and electric choke. Designed as a direct replacement for the factory quadrajet. Should be able to find it a little cheaper than the Holley site I set the link to:

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...arburetors/emissions_replacement/parts/0-9895

The only other part you might need would be the kick down cable bracket if the truck has the T350. I made my own. Used the bracket for the quadrajet. Cut it down, bent a 90* and bolted it to the Holley throttle bracket.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you were looking for a Holley, I would recommend the 9895. Spread bore design, vacuum secondaries and electric choke. Designed as a direct replacement for the factory quadrajet. Should be able to find it a little cheaper than the Holley site I set the link to:

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...arburetors/emissions_replacement/parts/0-9895

The only other part you might need would be the kick down cable bracket if the truck has the T350. I made my own. Used the bracket for the quadrajet. Cut it down, bent a 90* and bolted it to the Holley throttle bracket.
thank you thats a lot of insight, like, the bracket thing helps a lot. Did it just have to hold it or did it need to put it somewhere specific? Any pics? And what can you tell me about vacc secondaries?

any pic of your setup?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

That is a nice looking carb btw.. it being designed to drop in.. do you think it would take Cruise or other emissions equipment that hookup easily, too? Not for the truck but a 77 electra of mine will eventually need rebuild or replacement, ideas are always good, esp since it keeps the spreadbore design(bigger secondaries??)

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Right out of the box that carb will run for you. The vacuum secondaries work independent of the primary barrels. When the engine vacuum gets higher (off idle of course) the secondaries start to open. The more air/fuel the engine calls for the more the secondaries open. Nice and smooth, no bog.

Tune-able for more performance, but not necessary. You just change the spring on the vacuum secondaries and they will open sooner.

Top cable is the accelerator cable, lower cable is the TV cable. You can see the TV cable bracket bolted to the other bracket.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Is there an adjustment procedure incase I have to adjust. The guy messed with timing, carb, etc. No telling what he did there. plus as different carb might behave different?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It also appears 1981 and 1982 were first years for 700rs so it wouldnt be that. Its factory. Its been in my family since new. Bought acrossed the canadian border in 1976 by my grandfather, when he moved to wisconsin from montana he broughti t. Drove it till early 90s, bought a new chevy, made the square his plow truck. It did that till about 2003 or so, when he gave it to my father who removed the bed(it was rotted bad even then) and replaced it with the flatbed and a piston setup to allow it to dump. Its rusty, its seen a lot, but shes trusty.

I hope it becomes mine at some point. Ill take a pic if i remember sometime.
82 was the first year for 700r4 and many of them were converted back to Th350 at dealerships cuz of all the 700r4 failures and warranty work multiple times.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Talking about the kick down cable adjustment, yes easy to do. On the back side of the cable, where it goes into the mount is a "D" shaped push tab. You cannot see it in my picture because it is facing away. Pushing the tab you slide the cable housing all the way back in the plastic mount, release the push tab. Then when installed operate the throttle fully. The cable housing will ratchet in to where it needs to be.

Because you are dealing with old plastic it may no longer ratchet in and out, but it should.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28